Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Front weight for Cat 426 backhoe

ycanby ยท 2012-09-18 11:23

Hello, First post on this site. Was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for adding weight to the front end of a Cat 426 hoe. Want to add the weight to the tractor, not nessacarily the loader. Can the front tires be loaded? Thanks, YC

Replies5
  1. #1PDG X2012-09-18 15:05

    Yes the front tires can be filled, but you might want to have a couple of plates cut to fit inside the frame on both sides of the engine. This is a common place to add weight and will be a bit more beneficial when trying to keep the front end on the ground. The tires will oscillate on the trunion, which can lose some of the effect in certain situations. PDGx

  2. #2Curbster2012-09-30 21:34

    I have a 426C and it has the front counterweights attached. It came this way and I think you might be able to add or remove plates but I am not sure. Anyway, if you are doing any steep hill climbing they are almost mandatory unless you back up the hill. Otherwise, unless you carry a loaded bucket, you will be star-gazing. This is not a picture of my hoe, but you can see the front plates.

  3. #3DGODGR2012-09-30 21:55

    These are OEM weights and the dealer usually orders which weights based on the arrangement on the order. These are "chin" weights and one can remove, or add, if one chooses. My 416 haas the (3) weights as shown in this photo. It is the most balanced backhoe I have ever run. Keep in mind the way the machine is equipped. As I said, mine is a 416, not a 426 (426 will be heavier on the *** end), is equipped with 4x4, 4-n-1 loader bucket (both add weight to the front) and an extendable dipper (is heavier in back). I would think that the optional heavier chin weight, which can replace the bottom as shown on the pic, but sticks out front more, would be better for the 426, especially if not equipped with 4x4, or 4-n-1.

  4. #4Curbster2012-10-02 00:22

    Yes I took a few pictures of the front weights on my 426C IT and in fact the bottom weight does protrude as you have stated DGODGER. It is a pretty stable beast unless the grade is intense. It does have extendahoe, 4 wheel, and IT - split bucket which must all add to the weight of it.

  5. #5DGODGR2012-10-02 00:35

    Yes Curbster, the bottom weight, in the pic, is the heavier unit (not sure of the weight). My 416 is equiped with (3) of the smaller units (like the top two in this photo) and, as I said before, is very well balanced.