Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Frost question.

zhkent ยท 2008-02-26 23:33

Up north are there rules on loads with regard to frost in the roads? When are the roads at there weakest? Thanks

Replies7
  1. #1Tacodriver2008-02-26 23:49

    Springtime when the frost is coming out, the roads tend to move a lot. Road bans come on and you are restricted on certain roads to 75% or less. And they don't like to permit over 100% gvw.

  2. #2srs_mn2008-02-27 11:06

    In Minnesota the Seasonal Road Restrictions start usually in the middle of March and last until the middle of May. The main State highways are mostly ok with normal 9 ton per axle legal loads, but the secondary, county and municipal, highways and gravel roads are more restricted... County blacktops in my area are between 5 and 7 tons per axle, and the gravel roads are usually 4 or 5 tons per axle. Signs posted on individual roads can be even lower than these general limits. These limits are rigorously enforced, and for good reason; an overweight truck can do a lot of damage to a highway while the supporting underbase is basically jello while the frost is coming out. I looked on the DOT website and it seems that school buses, garbage, and milk trucks, etc. have exemptions. https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statutes/?id=169.87

  3. #3bushcat2008-02-27 12:19

    In the north there is a couple of months where you can get a winter weight permit that allows you to exceed the normal GVW ratings.

  4. #4Burnout2008-02-27 20:57

    Here in Alberta the road ban starts March 1st. We're hauling topsoil right now and have to work out a new deal with our truckers. We're only allowed 75% of the GVW which for most of the trucks is going to end up around half their normal payload weight, so I will be stuck putting 2 buckets on every truck.

  5. #5surfer-joe2008-02-27 23:04

    Not sure how it is in Ontario now, but back in the 70's, we shut down for spring breakup off the highway, and highway loads had to be reduced.

  6. #6deeredriver2008-02-28 11:52

    This is a sore subject for me. Last winter I bought a trackhoe(200 size) in Michigan. After I sent the check, I then tried to get the machine out of michigan. Well, it ended up sitting there for almost 3 months they would not let me move it. So now I am 425 miles away and can not get my trackhoe home! Finally ended up getting it mome in the spring when the frost law went off. Next time I will ask about this first!

  7. #7Preppypyro2008-02-28 19:20

    When I was driving back from slave lake two days ago, i have seen road bans up all ready. Thats due to spring coming sooner Im guessing.