Just wondering if anyone has any good ways to get a unit running in the field that has had water in it has frozen. Customers don't put additives in to take water out till its to late. Or if there is anything you can't put in after is frozen to help get it going. I us a heat gun sometimes but you guys might have better ways. Lots of times we can't get the unit in to a heated place when it happens. Thanks guys have a good night.
I have heard of some using alcohol to help, but I don't know how much if any is safe for the components. Beyond that a tarp and heater and patience are an alternative.
We've had problems in the past, first thing we did was dump the frozen ice out of what are having problems with, then we change all the filters and try it again. If that doesn't work, we pump the old fuel out and put new straight number one back in and change the filters again. I know some are big believers in power service but I've never had any luck with it myself. We had issues with filters saturday on one of my service trucks and it also had the air brake system frozen up, we ended up putting on a new receiver dryer and using a portable heater to warm and melt the ice out of the filter housing that had accumulated after we got it going we put it in the shop to thaw it out overnight, it had been sitting out in the rainy, wet foggy weather for a few days before it went into the frigid temps of 25 below was the bulk of the problem, we ended up with condensation issues just from the temperature swings we had. If you can get a heater in under a tarp or just to get it pointed at the machine helps a lot, I really like the lp heaters that hook to a 20 lb cylinder, those can run upside down and any way you need them to get into tight areas and point the heat to where it needs to be put, in cold weather we one in the service truck at all times.
With tractor trailer brakes, I usually pour alcohol into the gladhands, then lean plywood or hang tarps on the side of the trailer, then back a pickup under the edge, so that the exhaust blows on the valve area. it is surprising how quickly that will raise the temp under a truck, it makes for an IDLH atmosphere, but a warm one. We don't get frozen or gelled fuel often enough to be experienced with that, sorry.
Thanks guys they all sound like good ideas. I had a back hoe the other day even the injectors had ice in them had to take them off and blow them all out.
There is a additive that I have used called winterthaw.
One time when I was younger, dumber. I put a few gal in a steel 5 gal can and heated it on a propane cooker. It got the ice free. But I wouldn't do it again. Double Polly greenhouse would be on my shopping list. NY law greatly increase thepenalties on any criminal acts committed in a building, even temporary or without walls.
have you tried methanol? had a fuel line on my service truck ice up last year, poured a little in and in a few minutes it was cleared up
No I haven't tried that might be worth a shot thanks mike
I don't know where Hamilton is so don't have an idea of your winter temperatures. We run power service fuel amendment and 911. I would take a weed burner or salamander and place a concrete blanket or tarb over the tractor. Heat for a good 30-45 minutes, once the fuel bowl breaks loose it will be safe to give it some 911. The tractor should start and have your customer keep some anti-gel in the fuel. Up here we are running blended number 1 and 2 with amendment. Good Luck!!
Hamilton is in Ontario a hour from the buffalo border. Most of the time we are around -12 to -20 so not to cold
If you are dealing with frozen water, you have to get the fuel above 32° and melt the ice for any additives to blend with the water and prevent refreeze. The guys have suggested a number of ways to do this if you can't get the machine or vehicle indoors. For gelled fuel (no ice) 911 or similar solvent will melt the waxed fuel and get you back on the road, warming the fuel will speed the process. I thought it important to point out the difference.
I will disagree with Steve on the 911, I used it one season and have to say it's the worst. I used it has a preventative which didn't help, then I tried using it to get clear up a gel'd system 2 strikes(and 3 days later) it's outa my shop. I say preventative is the best step, but if in a bind try the 90% rubbing alcohol it has worked for me in the past. You may have to use some sort of heat, building a temporary type enclosure over the machine. Back in the day it was nothing for the ole timers to build an actual fire right under the machine. A product that has served me very well so far is the "howes" diesel lubricate anti gel that is sold at Tractor Supply. Oh and of course I'm only assuming your writing of diesel, but you did say freeze so you're probably writing about gas? If that's the case go with the 90% alcohol.
I for one agree with Steve. I have used 911 for a preventative for quite a few years and have never had a problem with gelling. The cetane booster in it definitely made starting easier for me. You say it didn't help as a preventative. Was the gelled up system the same one you had 911 in ? Did that system have any grade of fuel other than #1 ? Also did you have the mfr's recommended minimum amount added to the one that did gel up ?
Yea the red Diesel 911 is the shizzle I use it every couple of days in the winter... I buy it myself, because it keeps me working!!!!
That's good, what is your coldest temp. When I had the issue with 911, the temp at night was well below 0, the temp during the day might have reached 5 that week. Temps below zero are very common during the winter here and can stay that way for weeks at a time. Yes the machine that gelled did have the (911) treated winter fuel mix in it. I did follow the directions to treat the fuel. I also know of 2 others that have had issue's already this year with their machines using the 911. They have since switched to howes, guess what, they won't be going back to 911 either. I'm glad you've had good luck, I can only write from my actual experience, it sucks having to work on a gelled machine when the high out door temp is less then 5 degrees and a nice wind is blowing. Maybe it's just us Adirondack folks that are getting a bad batch of the stuff, I'm not willing find out, especially when I have found something that has proven itself.
I haven't ever had a need to start my machine in any temperatures below the lower teens. When it is down around zero that very well make a big difference. I should mention that I am real generous with how much 911 I add. Howes is readily available where I live. I only use 911 because that is what I started using and have had good luck so far with it. If I had gone through your situation I would be using Howes or some other brand also.
@ Tinkerer; I don't care to run the machines when it's that cold but sometimes mother nature doesn't give me a choice. We were below zero this morn with some snow but I didn't feel it was enough to bother with. I like to let the 1st few small amounts settle, makes for a good packing(gravel drive ways). I see on the news, just over the hill from me they got 40" in the last 2 days, I believe. We may get a bit by Saturday and the temps will be below zero again, looks like I won't have a choice. I use to run a 50/50 mix diesel/kero, but now I just use diesel with howes added(knock on wood) no problems yet.
Good grief !!! With working conditions like that I understand why you have maddog for a username. I had my turn working in those conditions, but the days of working in the cold are behind me (I am retired).