I have a 2016 cat 249d I'm having to change the inline fuel filter. My question is can I get a auto parts inline or is it a cat specific part tia
Don't get one made for gas with a paper filter in it. You need one with a screen to be able to flow enough diesel through it.
You didn't give serial number, but on a 249d3 GWR, I see one of these and, one of these And, one of these
Model year, even if you got it correct, is of litlte or no help. Without a Serial Number trying to recommend anything is a cr@p shoot. There are five different ranges of 249D. Agree with Delmer that in most cases parts store brand inline filters are usually NOT designed for diesel applications.
Sorry guys new to this but 2016 249d serial gwr00501. I have 750 hr bought with 550 my local cat dealer is closed due to weather. Wanted to try get running asap but don't have one I'll keep in mind on filter type. Thanks guys for the help
Don't apoloigze. You won't be the first to do it, and you surely won't be the last. Your machine was actually built in early October 2015......maybe not sold by a dealer until 2016 though. The numbers quoted above by HMC are correct, with the exception of 541-6956 which is only used on machines S/N GWR03177-Up (later than yours). 363-5819 comes with the two O-Rings to install it (unusual for a Cat filter, they are normally sold separately) 416-5884 is the element for the fuel transfer pump/filter assembly.
If you need to get running take the filter off and fill it with isopropel , kerosene or even clean diesel put your finger over the hole and shake dump it out and repeat until its clean enough to run dont be temped to blow it out with air
Here is a photo of a basket type screen in-line fuel filter (the red filter on the left) that can be used as a pre-filter on diesel engines. This one happens to be a Wix 33972. Other makes include a Napa 3972 and a Baldwin BF7863. The fuel filter cross reference chart I saw had 18 "equivalent" makes and models of this filter on it. The paper filter shown on the right is the type is pre-filter that you should NOT be using in a diesel system. I temporarily installed this one on my CAT 242B when I discovered a fuel filter plugging problem and later replaced it with the correct filter. You can seem some debris on the filter paper in this photo ... even this small amount of debris reduced the fuel flow enough to affect the fuel supply and the running of the engine. One of the nice things about the clear basket types of fuel filters is that you can visually monitor them for debris and change them out accordingly. There is also a recommendation for the basket type screen fuel filter in this thread: HeavyEquipmentForums Nige also said in this thread, "The inline filter is certainly not standard on any of the listed models but according to the article it can be used as a diagnostic tool for identifying whether low engine power is caused by fuel contamination." See: HeavyEquipmentForums