Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fuel Filter Question

coastlogger · 2020-11-01 14:46

I have a big Racor 1000 filter (takes a 2020 element) I want to install on my W900 with 3406B engine. Obvious location is where old small separator is which is on drivers side above frame sort of in front of fuel pump. This will put the top of filter maybe 18 inches above top of fuel tank. The filter, which I resurrected from a scrappie, has no check valve in it.Should I get one to prevent fuel going back to tank or is this necessary? I dont think theres one in system at present but the old separator is only maybe 8 inches above tank top. I wonder if theres a check valve made for this?

Replies7
  1. #1coastlogger2020-11-01 14:47

    Should have mentioned the filter will be on suction side,before lift pump.

  2. #2Coaldust2020-11-01 16:02

    Coastlogger, That sounds like a great upgrade. No need to worry about adding a additional check valve. The 3406B secondary fuel filter/primer pump assembly has a couple of check valves built into it.

  3. #3coastlogger2020-11-02 13:05

    Thanks CD.Ill give it a try. One things sure if it does not work Ill be the first to know.

  4. #4coastlogger2020-11-06 01:49

    THinking about this some more prior to install.This filter has the element,which is maybe 10 inches tall,above the inlet and outlet ports.To sa fill the filter with fuel prior to startup after a filter change would it seems to me be impossible because itd run back to tank as fast as i could pour it in. Am I missing something here?

  5. #5Coaldust2020-11-06 03:16

    I don't think it will be an issue. But, you could install a ball valve on the inlet side of the Racor. Make sure your primer pump on the secondary filter is working properly.

  6. #6coastlogger2020-11-12 01:49

    Well i plumbed it in and it works just fine. Fuel does not run back to tank when i fill up the filter,not sure why but Im fine with that.

  7. #7Coaldust2020-11-18 18:48

    Thanks for the update. That’s great news.