Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fuel filtering on a slip tank.

621_Rocker ยท 2011-10-14 02:26

I am setting up an old slip tank and pump and am wanting to add to it a better fuel filtration system than the zee line or no name brand filter and base that has no micron rating listed. I was thinking of running two filters like maybe a 10 or 7 micron and then run a 2 micron. What should I look at for a filters and filter bases that can handle 20+ gpm. Any Baldwin or Donaldson part numbers for this? Also, what would someone recommend for a fuel/water separator for 20+gpm? Thanks for your responses in advance.

Replies5
  1. #1Komatsu 1502011-10-14 08:20

    I cant offer anything on filter choice but I see you're in Idaho. If the slip tank is outside and if you need to run fuel on very cold days you may have some trouble with a restrictive filter. I had to pull the filter off my pickup tank after a couple of miserable nights trying to fuel equipment following a snow storm. I had blended fuel and loaded with anti-gel but could not pump fuel until I pulled the filter. I tried fresh filters but no dice.

  2. #2Nige2011-10-14 09:01

    Here's what we do for fuel to get it clean and avoid water contamination. I realize that might be over the top for a slip tank but at least it gives you the idea. In the inlet line from the fuel tanker discharge we fit a 10-micron filter (FL-718PL10). We also test every load for water before discharging from the tanker. If there is any sign of water the load is rejected and sent back to the supplier. The tanks are equipped with dessicant breathers on top to avoid moisture entry - These are made by Stauff. Part Number sdb-122 or sgb-120-03-b We run a continuous filtration loop using a 5-micron filter (FO-718PL05) and also an autmomatic water trap just in case we get any condensation. The discharge line is equipped with a 1-micron filter. (FO-718PL01) The problem is that most automotive filters like the brands you are asking about above will not flow fast enough for what you need for a fuel filling system. You need more flow capacity than that. We use a filter brand called Fluitek that are made primarily for the aviation industry - http://www.fluitek.com/ . The above filter elements are all the same physical size, 6" dia outside, 2.6" dia inside, 18" long. All I can say that using this system on all our fuel tanks we have NEVER had to replace a plugged fuel filter on a machine or vehicle in between PMs. I'm in a warmer climate than you so what works for us may not work in your case, although I suspect it will. You might just have to tweak a few things.

  3. #3blitz1382011-10-18 02:02

    Tige I always enjoy reading your posts but I think you went a little over board for a slip tank. 621_Rocker Call Oil-Well dispense systems in Salt Lake, I used to work there, tell them Bret told you to call. [ar Tell them what size hose your using 1" or 3/4", 20 gpm, you can get a 10 micron particulate/hydrosorb filter. Cimtek is the brand, they are excellent filters. I think 2 micron may be a bit over board but they do have 2 micron particulate that you could just put in line after the 10 micron hydrosorb. The hydrosorb is your water filtration. If you need part numbers I can look them up but they can help you at Oil-Well. The phone number is 801-263-0245. Let me know if you need any other help. Tige ever try DesCase for the desiccant filters?

  4. #4Nige2011-10-18 09:26

    If you note in the post I did say "I realize that might be over the top for a slip tank but at least it gives you the idea" .......... The point I was trying to make, and maybe not very well, is that filters designed for automotive/machine applications (as per the OP's request) will probably not give you the flow rate you need for a fuel supply system. I personally would fit dessicant breathers on any fuel supply tank where condensation might be an issue.

  5. #5Diagonal Brace2011-11-17 19:55

    Check out a company called Cimtek. They make filters specifically for this type of application. Even a particulate only style for winter operations. I too have had to remove water absorbing filters in the winter just to keep things moving. Not fun.