Have a 70's ford 4500 tractor. Fuel is leaking through the top of pump where the throttle leaver is attached. Disconnected the lever but could not Find a gasket/ O-Ring in there. What would cause the leak??
Not certain of what injection pump you have Jjleafs, but being on a 70's Ford, likely a Lucas/CAV. Where the throttle shaft goes through the cover likely has some form of seal...o-ring, u-cup, but may be disintegrated from age. However, seal or no, in many cases, where that steel throttle shaft goes through the aluminum housing, over time the hole in the aluminum housing wears in an egg shape, even a new seal won't fix the leak.
The pump is a model 3233F390 CAV . It appears the throttle shaft is sealed from the inside. Where could i see an exploded view of this pump??
That information is not easy to come by... Look here... Then read every post on this forum related to pump leaks and you will begin to think that everyone has had, or will have a leak problem. I have came to the conclusion that the pumps really are best to be removed and all the seals/gaskets replaced. I bought a kit which is not that expensive but the thing has like 50 parts at least. They charge for the labor and experience. Some are gadgets that I have no idea what they are. Nothing is identified, just a bag of stuff.
I can send you a diagram w/ step by step instructions and part #'s needed.
Wow... So much complication for such a simple fix! Have resealed many of them in my custom farm shop. Remove the two 3/8" nuts center of the top cover, remove the 5/16" nuts holding the throttle lever and kill lever on the shaft (if it has one), lift the cover and while doing so, push the shafts down though the top cover (saves having to disconnect spring under the cover) and remove top. Be careful to note spring location in throttle lever arm. Replace 2 o-rings around shafts and gasket. Reconnect spring to throttle lever and push up through cover, set kill lever to meet kill shaft pin and lower cover onto pump. All of a half hour or less job if you can get to it. Of all the pumps I have resealed, I have never had one worn to the point new o-rings wouldn't fix the leak. Only time a pump needs to come off is if it won't pump as you are looking at $400-600 for a rebuild, maybe cheaper for just a reseal. My local tractor dealers keep top cover reseal kits on hand for $10-15 (gasket and 4 small o-rings).
Well you sure do make this sound easy. And I would probably tackle the throttle shaft leak myself after reading this. But mine has a small leak around the back on the bottom. I have a new gasket for whatever this gadget is, and I already tried to tighten these two nuts holding it on. But as I was trying to tighten these, one of the nuts seemed to be starting to strip the threads out so I stopped and hoped I did not damage anything. I am a tad afraid to take some things off especially when I can't get in a position to see what I am working on. 3 balls and two springs might fly off in the dirt. I plan to take mine off and get all new seals installed, hopefully soon.
WRW is correct..I've posted the procedure along with the P#'s of the parts needed 100x till my fingers know which keys to hit..LOL I've tried to get the MOD to put it in a "sticky note" but I guess there may be some "liability" involved?? I'll BET I forward the instructions along w/the p#'s 100x ayear..MINIMUM.. BUT HEY, what are friends for?? RIGHT??
Thanks a lot . I followed your instructions and everything went well . Tractor up & running.
instructions to replace leaking throttle valve on Lucas cav injector pump Would love a copy of the procedure, but can't seem to find it on any post. Thanks so much - really appreciate all you work to help us! Jeremy
so i just did this today after reading it. it was a pain in the ass to get the cover off because of a tight fit. the equipment was on a ford 340 industrial tractor. so the tractor ran but leaked. it was leaking out of the shaft for the throttle. i replace the o rings in that along with the shut off. i figured i was there so do it. i put it all back together but now the tractor wont run. i opened the ejector line to try to bleed out fuel but nothing is coming out.
The MOST COMMON mistake is> not getting the shut-off bar reconnected into the shut off shaft.. The bleed screw is by the name plate, 5/16 sitting on top of the 7/16, just loosen the 5/16 and crank the engine until clear fuel squirts out and tighten.. THEN loosen the injector lines..
the shut off bar is right i checked it a bunch of times yesterday thinking that was it. i also then just checked it again just now to verify. but before i did that i cracked the bleed screw and fuel was coming out. so i turned it over anyhow for good measure to see the fuel coming out. i also cracked the fuel filter too and watched fuel come out. so now that everything is back together with fuel i have the ejector line furthest back cracked and im trying to turn it over but still no fuel. is this a long process to have it come out?
i actually cracked all 3 lines still no dice
bummer.. You said it ran but leaked.. so you KNOW its something you did.. Did you get the throttle lever engaged properly on the slot of the throttle shaft?? Did you turn the fuel back on?? don't ask me how I know that one.. Is the shut off lever in the CORRECT run position?? Did you get the main governor spring back in its correct position?? Is the metering valve free??
correct i know its something i did. the throttle lever is in the slot. fuel is turned back on. the shut off lever is in the correct position and is working properly. the main governer spring is back in the center hole just like how it came out.... im stumped
That's the WORST part.. knowing its something you've done.. Have you tried towing it with the injectors loose, then tightening them up?? How about a "sniff" of starting fluid.. they can be a real PITA to get bled back out.. keep at it, you'll get it..
Please help.. thepumpguysc, would you please send me the instructions and part numbers to reseal the injection pump on my 70's Ford 4500. At least the information for the throttle shaft seal.
Thepumpguysc, would you also send me the instructions and part Nos to re-seal my injector pumps on my Ford 3000, and Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe. email: [email protected] Thank you Jim Kennedy
Wanted: DPA Fuel Pump Re-sealing Information/Procedure Hi, I am hoping somebody might have this information that they could send to me at [email protected] I have a Ford 3000 and a Massey Ferguson 50H Backhoe that both require re sealing. Jim
Jim, What your asking is WAY to involved to type out.. a complete reseal/ overhaul procedure ?? There are manuals for that type of thing.. they are available.. online.. Someone posted a link somewhere for the printed procedure for free, I just don't have the link at my finger tips tho..
Hi thepumpguysc. Thank you for your reply. My two tractors start reasonably and run well but leak fuel around the rear of the pump so I think seals must be leaking inside. Before I buy seal kits I would just like to know what's involved in dismantling these pumps, fitting seals and re-assembly. I'm not looking at complete overhaul. Jim
There is an oring that seals the head in the main hsg.. but inorder to get to it, you have to remove the top cover so you might as well reseal it.. then remove the 2 hold-down screws that have copper gaskets under them, then the head locating screw has to be removed that has orings on it.. 4 more seals and its an overhaul.. Best to get a manual..
Thank you thepumpguysc. Jim
70's Ford 4500 Injector Pump thepumpguysc, I apologize, iI forgot to provide my email address. Please send the info to [email protected] and [email protected] Thank you, Bill
I have a Case 1845C with a fuel leak at the throttle shaft seal. Any chance I can get step -by-step instructions and part #s needed. Looks like thepumpguysc is the man that can provide this info.
Email is [email protected]
Dunngee, I need to know what fuel system you have.. it will say on the tag of the pump..
It's a Lucas CAV. Best I can make out of the numbers: U3042F330 21270052GE? (U or O) A40L900-5-2300 Does this help?
Instructions and part #'s sent to your email address.. btw> I don't sell parts.. 100's on places on the web.. ebay.. look up, DPA top cover gaskets.
Thanks so much! These forums are awesome because of helpful people like yourself.
Would you please send me the instructions and part numbers to reseal the injection pump on my 70's Ford 4500. At least the information for the throttle shaft seal. It has the Lucas/CAV pump.
I too am in need of the resealing procedure and part number that the pump guy speaks of. Ford 3600 tractor. Please send to [email protected] Much appreciated
The mini kit is sold on eBay or Amazon.. it’s not an actual kit from the manufacturer but rather a kit someone put together to reseal the top cover and comes with all the gaskets and Orings.. U can find them for, between 9.-12.00 w free shipping.. Just search CAV throttle leak.. If u want to reseal the whole pump, the gasket kit # is:: 7135-110. which comes with the top cover seals and gaskets.
Hi, I tried to send you some information but your email was rejected as not found. So there is a very good step by step 58 minute Youtube video for a man in Queensland Australia. So type in: (CAV Injection Pump full strip down and stop fuel leaks). I also can send you via dropbox a manual that explains it. So could you please send me your email address. Please remember the address you posted above did not work. [email protected] Jim.
Jim, have U actually used that video and had success.??!! It has quite the opposite effect.!! I’ve gotten more work from people that watched that, “step x step” video than any advertising I could ever do.!!
.comq is not a valid address. If you leave the q off , it will probably be delivered.