Hi All, New here and need help now. 1979 Michigan 85GMIIIA Detroit 6v71-New Batteries and spins great will not start. I have mechanical experience and have been operating since '79. I've owned this rock for 8 years and know it pretty well or so I thought? I was plowing snow and stopped for a break, leaving the machine idling for about 15 minutes, jumped back on it and traveled about 100 feet and got steady black smoke from exhaust pipe, then it shut down. No start. Pulled both fuel canisters and changed filters. Canisters had Ice in them so I removed it by thawing it and rinsing out and drying them. New fuel filters were installed. I primed the canisters (filled them and let them soak then topped them off) then installed. I did not replace the rubber o-ring seals, & only one of the fiber washers for the bolts. Also while putting the canisters up I spilled some fuel out. Do you think the filters should come off and topped off & re-installed with new rubbers. I didnt mix the filters up but may have spilled out too much fuel? Does changing the o-rings matter? Also the little cam on the front of the blower is set in its notch for the engine to run, if you know what I mean..Can I have some advise on getting "Bessie" going? I really need her to move some snow here at our family business? Thanks too al!!!
If its smoking black you're not getting enough air. Check air filters for snow plugging or freezing. Next make sure the blower is turning. I've seen the drive coupler fail and cause exactly what you have for symptoms . If you take the intake pipe off the blower you can see if its turning. The drive coupling is on the flywheel end under the middle cover. There are three bolts holding the coupling to the drive gear. The internal spline fails.