Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

fuel problems

SPINS ยท 2012-12-30 15:23

I'm working on a bobcat mt 50 mini loader,( I just got it) It barely wants to idle, It acts like it has water in fuel, I drain the tank and changed the filter, With fresh fuel and new filter it still acts the same. (I think all the air is bleed out of the system) I noticed the fuel line is ran from the tank, to the fuel pump, to the filter, and then to the injector block, Is the correct? I would think it would run from the tank to the filter then to the fuel pump, pump to the injector block. Help which way dose the fuel line need to be ran?

Replies17
  1. #1Steve Frazier2012-12-30 18:05

    What is the temperature outside? Is your fuel winterized?

  2. #2SPINS2012-12-30 19:55

    I have the loader in my heated shop. The fuel has conditioner in it.

  3. #3Steve Frazier2012-12-30 20:14

    OK, you've got all the basics covered. I don't know this machine specifically but the next thing I'd check is fuel flow just prior to the injector pump.

  4. #4Oxbow2012-12-30 23:16

    You may have debris in the fuel tank that is obstructing flow. Perhaps you could remove the fuel line from the fuel pump and blow back into the tank (with cap removed) to see if flow improves.

  5. #5Steve Frazier2012-12-30 23:24

    That's the same thought I had but I like to start at the pump and work back to the tank to isolate just where the obstruction is.

  6. #6Oxbow2012-12-30 23:38

    I am not familiar with the machine, but if it has an electric fuel pump then cracking a bleeder port on the fuel filter housing, or cracking the fuel filter loose would provide verification that the fuel pump (transfer pump) is functioning with just the key being on. Good point Steve!

  7. #7coalroller2012-12-31 00:01

    what year is this and or could someone have put bio fuel in it bio will make older rubber lines swell cutting off or restricting fuel flow. we have even found the inner lining of fuel lines falling appart causing a trap door affect

  8. #8powerjoke2012-12-31 11:49

    I am not sure if its the bio eating away at the rubber or if its promoting the formation of fuel algae (that's my personal opinion) we fight fuel algae all the time, we probably clean 1 tank and fuel system per month. And we NEVER had a problem till bio-fuel was forced upon us lol. To the OP I would start by checking the tank and rubber lines especially, if it actually is algae that is causing the problem error some reason I have seen it mainly on rubber lines not steel tubing..... It also likes to grow on suction screens in the tank. Pj Pj

  9. #9joispoi2012-12-31 12:47

    If you have a pressure gauge, install a "T" in the fuel line and get a pressure reading when the machine is running. If you don't have one, you can get a cheap gauge that measures pressure/vacuum from your local autoparts store. It's easier than throwing parts at it. You can tell if you have positive fuel pressure at the fuel pump if you loosen the hose connection at the IP. Fuel should leak from the connection. Your description of the lift pump being installed between the tank and the filter is normal. Verify positive fuel pressure at the injector pump inlet.

  10. #10SPINS2012-12-31 16:30

    Steve you nail it, I disconnected the fuel hose after the fuel pump, I barely get a drop of fuel when turning the motor over,. After that, I disconned the hose before the fuel pump the fuel run freely. So I will be changing the fuel pump. Will post with results once the new new one is installed.

  11. #11SPINS2012-12-31 16:36

    Thanks Joe it just didn't seem right that the pump was before the filter, you are right after further research I came up with the same results

  12. #12alrman2012-12-31 16:39

    Not 100% sure how the system is configured either, but most lift pumps are protected by some sort of screen between the pump & tank. An in-line filter, which you don't seem to have OR a banjo fitting at the lift pump OR a screen built into to pump itself. Make sure that this is not a problem either

  13. #13SPINS2012-12-31 16:44

    There is no screen that I can see, from the tank to the pump, if there is one it must be in the pump, it looks like the pump comes apart. will know more later

  14. #14bill onthehill2012-12-31 19:11

    If you can take it apart you will likely find crap in the check balls on the pump. A good cleaning may be all you need. Check NAPA for a new pump. They had one for my Case backhoe in stock.

  15. #15SPINS2013-01-01 10:12

    I removed /disassemble the fuel pump, there are two small screens inside, one on in-let and the other on the out-let. The in-let was clogged. That solved my problem. running smooth. Do you think it would be a good idea to install a in-line filter before the pump? If so..... is there anything I should be looking for gas or diesel or are they all the same?

  16. #16SPINS2013-01-01 10:15

    Thanks everyone for all your help!

  17. #17bill onthehill2013-01-01 10:28

    You want a diesel inline filter. It has a metal screen instead of paper elements inside. I added one on my machine when I put the new lift pump on.