Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fuel stabilizer recommendations?

RenoHuskerDu · 2020-09-01 20:35

Finally got my own 1000 gal diesel tank right here in the yard. Now I can stop paying road tax on fuel for my machines. Shoulda done it years ago. No more trips to Valero etc. What diesel fuel stabilizer do y'all use? Thanks for any advice.

Replies13
  1. #1hosspuller2020-09-01 20:51

    Unlike gasoline with its light fractions forming varnish, diesel is pretty stable. So, it is not the stabilizers you need, it's the algae and water problem. Every tank breathes with temperature changes. The moisture in the air condenses and forms free water. The water settles to the bottom. And, at the interface of the water and diesel algae grows. That'll be the slime and gunk that plugs filters and corrodes injectors (and other precision parts including your tank) Biocide is your friend along with regular tank bottom draining. Also, avoid zinc and brass fittings. The zinc reacts with diesel to form gels. Filter at the dispenser pump is good too. This was all covered in an Chevron article ... but can't find a link to it anymore.

  2. #2boaterri2020-09-01 22:32

    For years I used Howe's Diesel Treat in my boat. Never had a lick of trouble with algae, water or starting trouble.

  3. #3hosspuller2020-09-01 22:40

    Here's the Chevron article I referenced in previous post. It's a bit dated... Written in 2007. so the Tier 4 emission standards weren't in play yet. https://www.chevron.com/-/media/chevron/operations/documents/diesel-fuel-tech-review.pdf

  4. #4check2020-09-01 22:41

    Here in the North, most people use Howes and love it. No problems.

  5. #5treemuncher2020-09-02 08:38

    I had an issue a couple years ago with black junk clogging my fuel filters. I have my own yard tanks and run through about 3 to 4 fills a year. I was pretty sure it was a form of diesel bacteria. Every movement of my fuel gets filtered before it ever gets into a machine but I still had issues. I added this stuff to shock it: https://www.amazon.com/Biobor-JF-Diesel-Fuel-Biocide/dp/B0014434DG I've since purchased a gallon of it and dose all of my tanks at least once a year with a maintenance dosage. I kept and refill the small bottle to make measurements easier when dosing machine tanks. No more filter issues like before with the black goo. No problems with it burning through the fuel.

  6. #6John Canfield2020-09-02 17:31

    I used Biobor JF on my boat and never had fuel issues, use it now on my equipment and my bulk storage tank.

  7. #7RenoHuskerDu2020-09-02 18:52

    I've been using Howe's and I had a new bottle of it that I threw in the empty tank. Glad to hear that it works for you.

  8. #8Tinkerer2020-09-02 20:17

    I use Howes plus a biocide. No particular brand of biocide, it all costs about $24.00 a quart in my area. Power Service brand is what I use most of the time. The local Farm and Fleet store sells a lot of it.

  9. #9boaterri2020-09-02 20:19

    The thing about Howe's is that it keeps the water from separating out of the fuel. Most of the "diesel bugs" (algae) live at the intersection of the water and diesel, no intersection, no algae. Many of the other products kill the algae and create a toxic soup of dead algae at the bottom of the tank.

  10. #10Tinkerer2020-09-05 21:26

    I use the biocide to prevent algae from ever growing in the tank.

  11. #11hosspuller2020-09-05 22:41

    I use Howes Diesel Treat. The Howes Guarantee isn't worth much to me. About 200 gallons of diesel per year spread out over four machine. Each machine supplied from the same bulk tank. I never use a case of Howes per year. One bottle per year. Howes guarantee conditions: 5. One Registration Card must be on file at Howes for each vehicle, each year or claim will not be honored. 6. You must use a minimum of six ½ gallons or six 1.9 liters (one case) of Howes Diesel Treat prior to making any claim.

  12. #12Jonas3022020-09-05 23:11

    You need to talk with your supplier most have already added treatments that may or may not be compatible if not they will add for you as your needs dictate

  13. #13doublewide2020-09-06 06:29

    Power Service Biocide.