Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fuel system bleeding Cat 426 with a Perkins

MattiV · 2025-01-22 09:04

Hey, I have a 1988 cat 426 backhoe I was on the way to the gas station two minutes from my house and it died on the side of the highway. I towed it back with the pick up truck to my house. I got it fired up, but I decided to change the filter and clean the screen on the lift pump after I did all that I can’t get it started again. I’ve been having issues for the last seven years with it just randomly dying. The problem I’m having now is that when I prime the lift pump I got a whole bunch of air bubbles in my fuel tank and mess with it for over three hours and I’m getting no fuel to the injection pump.

Replies3
  1. #1TVA2025-01-22 09:21

    Usually it’s a rubber O-rings on both sides of the glas bowl. Could be gaskets on the bolt. The crash washers on the adapters and plugs.

  2. #2Welder Dave2025-01-22 20:58

    It might need a new lift pump. Is the lever somewhat hard to push? If there is resistance and no fuel comes out the bleed screw on the IP there could be a blockage somewhere after the lift pump. You could try removing the bleed screws and blow air through the fuel line. Just a quick shot of air should reveal if there's a blockage.

  3. #3MattiV2025-01-22 22:35

    Thanks for the help, guys. I figured it out and replaced the lift pump. It runs good now.