Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fuel Tag Question

Komar ยท 2005-06-22 12:06

OK, let me bother you guys again, and I do really appriciate your imput. I am located in NJ, I believe I will need a fuel transport tag for a fuel tank in my bed, is NJ Form CM-100 the proper form to fill out?

Replies8
  1. #1John Banks2005-06-22 15:06

    I wish I could help you with the exact answer here, and I'm sure someone will know, but my understanding is that as long as your auxillary fuel tank is less than 100 gallons, you do not need any permit. This may be different in NJ, or I may be all wet entirely.

  2. #2Steve Frazier2005-06-22 18:41

    The requirement for placards is 300 lbs. of hazardous materials. I don't know the weight of fuel for the gallons equivalent. I wouldn't be surprised though if NJ has specific requirements fo fuel transport, I know NYC does.

  3. #3littledenny2005-06-22 19:05

    FWIW - Water is approximately 8.25 pounds per gallon, Fuel will be a bit less than 8 pounds per gallon.

  4. #4PAYTON2005-06-22 20:47

    actually your numbers are a lil small i do belive Fuel weight is calculated at 6 pounds per gallon of gas and 9.24 pounds per gallon of diesel type A fuel. (The weights are accepted averages based on specific gravity and other variables, such as temperature.) and heres a good website to calulate fuel usage. etc.. cliky

  5. #5digger242j2005-06-22 21:02

    The question made me curious, so I did a little searching on the subject, and found this interesting paragraph in a document out of the US Forest Service: "Diesel Fuel Exceptions: DOT regulations have an exception for combustible liquids. Non-bulkcontainers (i.e., < 119 gallons) of combustible liquids, transported by highway only, do not haveto comply with any DOT regulations unless the combustible liquid is a hazardous substance,hazardous waste or a marine pollutant. Diesel fuel is not a hazardous substance, hazardous waste, or a marine pollutant. Therefore, when transported by highway in quantities less 119 gallons, diesel fuel is not subject to any DOT regulations [49 CFR 173.150(f)(1) & (2)]." And from another document: " Size: Up to 118 gallons. 119-gallon and larger tanks are not recommended to eliminate need for placarding and Commercial Drivers Licenses. Tanks larger than 118-gallons may be used only with the approval of the State FMO (BLM)/Forest FMO (FS) and compliance with DOT and CDL regulations. " I know that doesn't adress Komar's specific question about NJ, but it is interesting as general background info. (Which raises the question once again, of whether a 100 gallon tank in your pickup needs to be DOT certified in some way, or not. Or does it mean you can carry a whole mess of 5 gallon cans, or two 55 gallon drums, but a 100 gallon tank would be considered a "bulk" container? I'm not sure. :beatsme ) Also, (and I apologize in advance to LittleDenny for contradicting him), but I came across information that gives the weight of diesel as between 7.1 and 7.3 lbs/gallon, depending on the formulation. (Not a significant difference from the figure he gave, until you multiply it by a hundred or so). On edit: It seems I'm contradicting Payton on the weight question too! Here's one of the places I got the approximate 7 lbs/gallon figure. Actually, there's an awful lot of good info there.

  6. #6John Banks2005-06-22 21:51

    OK, so I was off by 18 gallons :Banghead I guess that makes sense, since now I remember seeing 110 gallon tanks for pickup beds.

  7. #7digger242j2005-06-22 23:34

    Don't pound your head on the wall too hard, John. I'd never have guessed that it was a nice, round number like 118....

  8. #8John Banks2005-06-22 23:50

    You're right Digger. So what is the rationale of 118 gallons? Is it just an arbitrary number? Certainly some government agency must have some justification for choosing 118...perhaps it was someones lucky number?