Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fuel transfer tank

Greg in KY ยท 2011-12-28 08:53

How important is it to keep a 75 gal , aluminum transfer tank(in the bed of a pickup truck) full all the time? I know it is important to keep equipment tanks full. It is parked under roof. 75 gallons will last me a couple of months except maybe a couple of projects throughout the year. Big toys is what I have. Thanks, Greg

Replies9
  1. #1Nige2011-12-28 09:25

    IMO you need some method of draining the accumulated water (from condensation) off the bottom of the tank at regular intervals if you don't plan on keeping it 100% full all the time. How is the tank vented at the top ..?

  2. #2Greg in KY2011-12-28 09:41

    Nige, No way to drain. No vent. It has a pressure relief fill cap. I guess I will just keep it full with a good filter. Thanks, Greg

  3. #3Nige2011-12-28 12:57

    If that is the design I would agree the best way to prevent condensation is to keep it full.

  4. #4da'yoop2011-12-29 14:59

    Maybe a fuel additive would help too. My dump truck sits from Dec. to April. I just put in the additive before I park it and it's fine in the spring. Just my 2cents.....

  5. #5Greg in KY2011-12-29 15:18

    I always add Lucas fuel treatment as well as the algae stuff(can't think of the brand name). I had an issue with algae in my trackhoe last year.

  6. #6zetorheaven2012-01-10 10:33

    yes keeping it full is the best policy

  7. #7pointrow2012-01-12 19:26

    I have several portable tanks and condensation has not been a problem. Full is ok but not mandatory. The best defence is for the suction tube on the pump to be a couple inches above the bottom allowing water and dirt to remain there. good luck pointrow

  8. #8Dualie2012-01-12 22:24

    i don't know how your tank is constructed but could you possibly fit a desiccant breather to it? one that would remove all the moisture from the air before it enters the tank and removes it as the tank exhales. They are pretty common now in industrial equipment but haven't seemed to make any inroads into construction equipment

  9. #9blitz1382012-01-12 22:32

    You can buy water finding paste from most oil/fuel jobbers. Stick it on a tape run it down to the bottom and see how much of it changes color. This will tell you if there is water and how much and if you need to be worried. The stuff only costs a few bucks and should last you forever.