Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fuel transfer tank question

Timark80 ยท 2009-04-06 17:07

I have a new setup and would like to know if the filter will work efficiently at such an angle. No fuel in the tank yet.

Replies29
  1. #1surfer-joe2009-04-06 17:30

    It will work OK, but would be better (and look better) if it were fully vertical.

  2. #2cat3202009-04-06 17:30

    it will probably work fine but my thinking is when it's full and you have to change it diesel will go all over because it's at an angle or it will be more work to keep clean. unless fuel spiling is not a concern but you look like you have a nice truck there.

  3. #3td25c2009-04-06 18:31

    I would try a 45 degree "steet elbow" at the pump .The filter is pretty tall ,If it still hits the tank install a 90 degree steet elbow in the 45 then a short pipe nipple and another 90 elbow on top.That should fix it.

  4. #4Timark802009-04-06 19:24

    This is a Tractor Supply setup, I wonder why they made the pump with the 45 degree downward outlet? I'll be adding the extra plumbing tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

  5. #5dirt digger2009-04-06 21:09

    he can't put a 45 on there because he won't have the clearance to fit the filter between the tank and the outlet unless he runs a long piece of pipe past the tank... i had the same problem with my Gasboy pump...i will get a picture tomorrow of my set up, I am using one of the waterblock filters from tractor supply, the short one, barely has enough vertical clearance

  6. #6544D102009-04-06 23:47

    For changing the filter cant you just drain it by the valve on the bottom :beatsme

  7. #7tracksfan2009-04-07 12:19

    can the square looking piece on the top of the pump that the pipe comes out of be taken off an rotated 180 degrees so that the pipe is now pointing up at a 45 degree angle? then you could put a 45 degree elbow on there to make it horizontal and get a lot more clearance for the filter. run a 90 degree elbow so your hose points at the back of your truck and you can fill machines on either side. I like the see through filter housing on my tank to keep an eye on the fuel condition.

  8. #8dirt digger2009-04-07 17:25

    heres my setup

  9. #9Timark802009-04-07 21:05

    I like your setup,eventually I plan on going electric.

  10. #10Timark802009-04-07 21:15

    Well,this is what I put together today,although not 100% satisfied with the looks, it will work for now. The calls for work for my machinery is beginning to pickup with warmer temps! Hope it keeps looking up.

  11. #11dirt digger2009-04-07 21:22

    that'll work...you might also be able to raise your pump with 2" pipe out of the tank then run a setup like mine with your larger filter either way good luck with it...your arm sure will get a workout haha

  12. #12td25c2009-04-07 21:30

    Look's fine Timark80.I like the clear body on the fuel filter /water seperater.You will be able to see water and impurities immedietly.Good idea.

  13. #13Timark802009-04-07 21:35

    I have room to allow the filter above the tank but it makes the hose curve past the edge of the p/u bed on the driver side. The hose is too short to go the way you have yours towards passenger side.

  14. #14Knucklehead2009-04-07 21:39

    Its definatley a good looking setup! It may, or may not be a concern, but could that be too much weight hanging out that far? What about road vibrations? I think it will work out fine.I am just thinking out loud.

  15. #15td25c2009-04-07 21:52

    That's a good point Knucklehead.It would help to have a small bracket from the filterbase to the tank.

  16. #16Timark802009-04-07 22:02

    The camera angle makes it appear to be hanging out there farther than what it really is. I will be watching it very closely.

  17. #17bill53622009-04-07 22:08

    Timark80 Once again nice looking unit in your avatar. I have the same filter on a tank they work well. I think it will work, but from my experience I think a bracket will be required, moving the hose on my for fueling gave me some leak issues, had to keep an eye on it.

  18. #18Dualie2009-04-08 03:44

    Also its a big NO NO to use galvanized fittings for diesel fuel. the diesel will eat the zinc and cause flakes of it to come loose and head down stream

  19. #19RocksnRoses2009-04-08 06:58

    Well, I don't know, Dualie, I have been hearing that one for forty years and I have taken galvinised fittings off diesel tanks that have been there for thirty years and the galvanising inside the fitting is still as good as the day it was fitted to the tank. Also I have never found any galvanising flakes in screens and filters over that period of time, either, but that is just my experience. Rn'R.

  20. #20Dualie2009-04-09 02:29

    My thoughts are why chance it. The possibility of trashing a $200 pump (or something more expensive) cuz i saved never seemed to smart to me. And with this New ULSD and BIO diesel rotting out everything else why gamble.

  21. #21Dwan Hall2009-04-09 11:02

    Our DOT guys here are having fun with transfer tanks. They are issuing tickets if you can carry more then 1000 lb of fuel including the truck tanks. and they are also checking on how they are tied down. Just a note.

  22. #22CAT D9H2009-04-09 14:52

    Heres a pic of mine it hangs way over with no support by the filter and I have never had any problems with vibrations , not saying that they wont vibrate but mine never has , I mean it probably does vibrate but it has never caused a problem with mine

  23. #23hvy 1ton2009-04-09 16:52

    I have allways had troble with the clear filter housings, they like to "melt" into the metal part and never come apart. I have all metal filter/water seperators on my stuff now and life is easy, well easier.

  24. #24eRay2009-04-10 11:21

    I had always heard to not store diesel fuel in galzanized cans due to leaching also. I just got a new Tuthill Fillrite heavy duty pump and guess what. The elbow for the fuel hose out of the pump is galvanized. I bought a fuel filter kit and all the plumbing and fittings with it are galvanized. If diesel and galvanizing don't mix, the transfer equipment people are unaware of it.

  25. #25544D102009-04-10 15:37

    Reminds me of the time when my boss drove onto the job site and I noticed that the hood of his truck was all beat up and I asked what happened. Apparently it is not a good idea to go thru a car wash with an empty non-tied down fuel tank in the bed. :usa

  26. #26Timark802009-04-11 22:44

    Here in FL it's 119 gal max for personal use,over that it's commercial.Have not used the tank yet.Plan on going to Fastenal on Mon. to see if they offer some type of "fastener" to hold the front of the tank on the topside where the welded lift points are. If that option is not available I'll have to move the tank back away from the cab about 4-5" and drill holes.I really want to save as much bed space as possible. I'm open for any suggestions.

  27. #27Timark802009-04-11 22:49

    I always wash my own truck,...ha ha ha. That would be a very bad feeling watching the carwash beat up a truck hood with a fuel hose nozzle

  28. #28GaryKelley2009-04-17 10:17

    you are going to wish you would have spent the extra dollars and got the electric pump....if I were using that set up, I think I would build some sort of cage (expanded metal) and surround the filter...sooner or later..something steel is going to come in contact with it........just my opinion..

  29. #29Timark802009-04-17 11:16

    I'm only occasionally refueling my bobcats' 26 gal. tank.The pump puts out a half gal. per stroke,in a few mins. I'm full of fuel again. Most of my jobs only require 20 gals. or less.When I start making the big bucks an elec. pump will be installed. Hopefully I won't bang the filter anytime soon.