Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

FYI this is a fun Cat 930 post

Phil P · 2020-01-25 13:28

Hello All Caterpillar 930 wheel loader serial numb 41K00289 This machine was destined for the scrap yard 7 years ago. It had a broken front spindle that Caterpillar could not even give me a part number or price for. So I got to cursing around the internet and found one in a dismantling yard. I put it together and they completed the present use of the machine. It then sat for about a year. When I ask about it they said they were thinking about scraping it. I looked it over and decided to put a couple of used tires on it get it started (ran pretty good on 3 cylinders) and after draining several gallons of water out of the fuel system moved it to the shop. That was 6 years ago. The guys started using it and then more they used it then better if got it now starts without either and is running on all 4 cylinders. So I decide after 7 years it needed an oil change!? Surprising enough when I cut the oil filter open I found no metal. Now all I need to do is figure out where the transmission filter is so I can change that LOL. Phil P

Replies40
  1. #1Nige2020-01-25 13:37

    Right on the side of the transmission. See below. Parts break down for filter is attached.

  2. #2Nige2020-01-25 13:39

    It might pay you to get a Parts Manual. You can download one in Adobe pdf format from Cat for $89. If you want help with the process please ask.

  3. #3Phil P2020-01-25 14:55

    Thanks again Nige So far I haven’t spent hardly any money on this unit and will decide what its future is after I change the transmission oil and filter. I will also send oil sample to our local cat dealer for a report. Phil P

  4. #4Phil P2020-02-05 13:34

    Hello Niger or anyone else that might know. How many gallons of oil in this transmission? Is there a primary suction screen in this transmission? I have removed the transmission filter and opened it. I found no metal or other trash. I am now changing the oil and having a problem finding this information in the manual. Phil P​

  5. #5Nige2020-02-05 13:56

    Transmission holds approximately 7 gallons but always fill to the dipstick, sight glass, level plug, whatever. Specs for this machine are pretty old but personally I'd put SAE30 TO-4 oil in it. Magnetic screen is located in the bottom of the output transfer gear case. Look for a cover with 4 bolts on it. You may need to replace the cover gasket if it hasn't been off in a while, it will probably tear when you remove the cover.

  6. #6Phil P2020-02-05 14:14

    Niger The only plate that fist your discription is on the back of the gear box next to the pipe marked #21 on the iirst picture you sent me. this is on the side oposit the brake drum. Phil P

  7. #7Phil P2020-02-05 15:11

    Hi I don’t have my transfer cable with me so will have to upload the pictures of the magnet and screen. I found all kind of stuff in the screen a piece of “o” ring the paper gasket from an oil bottle and a lot of black metal on the magnets. How do you clean the magnets? Phil P

  8. #8kshansen2020-02-05 15:24

    That sounds right, should be about 4 inch square plate held on with four 3/8-16 bolts 9/16 inch heads. They are marked 17 and 18 in the #6 post Nige had the 13 14 circled in. That drawing is a bit deceiving but that should be a square plate. The drawing has the case cut away to let you see item 12 which would be the camshaft lever for the parking brake. Not sure why Cat chose to show that in that drawing and not with the brake shoes and spring!

  9. #9Cmark2020-02-05 15:24

    Cleaning the magnetic screens can be tricky. If they are really bad I will usually just replace them. They are still available from Cat at reasonable cost. If you still insist on cleaning it I have found a good strategy is to soak it in brake cleaner or some other cleaner that evaporates the oil and then when it's dry, blast the metallic chips loose with compressed air.

  10. #10kshansen2020-02-05 15:33

    Sorry about the quality of the image but it's Cat's fault! The cover for the magnetic filter has the red " X " on it. And to add to what Cmark said don't try tapping the magnetic filter or you will be buying a new one those magnets are brittle! Just checked the price on the magnetic filter, it is an 8S9129 and I can get it from local Cat dealer for all of $10.00 or less

  11. #11Phil P2020-02-05 19:28

    Hi Here are pictures of the screen and magnet from the transmission. Everything you see on top of the wood bench came out of the transmission. Phil P Hi

  12. #12Nige2020-02-05 19:48

    What’s that inside the screen.? I can’t make it out on a smart phone screen but looks for all the world like rollers from a needle bearing.

  13. #13kshansen2020-02-05 20:02

    What is the part the red arrow is pointing to in this edited picture? Looks like a piece of plastic bag or the toe out of a sock! While not thrilled about all that crap in the screen and the gunk on the magnets if this is the first time in over 7 years the oil has been drained and that strainer/filter been out not sure I would panic. If it seems to function to your satisfaction I would run it and maybe in a bit less than another 7 years pull it out again. From looking at the parts book I'd guess you can't remove this strainer with out draining the oil. Some other Cats do have that possibility. I'd be very tempted to have a nice clean drain pan big enough to hold all the oil and run this for about a day and drain and remove the strainer/filter for another look see. If it looks real nice just reuse the oil but change the upper filter! I would be interested in cutting open the old filter up top and see what that looks like now.

  14. #14kshansen2020-02-05 20:07

    EEK! I missed that while looking at the other stuff! Now I'm not too sure about this transmission. Need to get that stuff out and wash it up a bit and post a picture of it in better detail

  15. #15Phil P2020-02-05 20:08

    Hello Nige What I found was the round black things I thought were “o” rings but on closer inspection I now believe they are the outer edge of one of the lip seals on a clutch pack piston. The piece that looks white is the paper or plastic seal you find on some new oil jugs they sometimes stick in the lid and sometimes have to be peeled off the top of the jug. There is a small amount of sludge. However the stuff on the magnet is a dark colored metal must be steel or it wouldn’t stick to the magnet the way it does you can move it around with your finger and can pull it off the magnet. They are very fine I have not found any large pieces of metal. In the first and last picture you see a rectangle item that is shinny. That is a piece of aluminum that I ma sure was introduced into the unit while servicing the oil and not something from the transmission. Phil P PS I had trouble uploading the pictures so you happen to have a look before I was finished.

  16. #16Phil P2020-02-05 20:12

    Kshansen I did cut open the filter and found nothing in it not even one little piece. I am sure the oil and filters have not been changed in over 8 years. Phil P

  17. #17Phil P2020-02-05 20:18

    I am putting it back together as soon as the new magnet gets here and returning the unit to service. If the black rubber pieces are lip seals then that explains why the machine is slow to engage first gear when selected. Remember this is a refugee from the scrap yard. Phil P

  18. #18Cmark2020-02-05 21:23

    Honestly, I've seen worse. I'm with KH. If there's no big pieces of metal in there I'd say carry on.

  19. #19Nige2020-02-06 04:27

    Another vote for ..... New filter element, clean the screen, install the new magnet, and treat the system to a few gallons of new SAE30 TO-4 oil. She should be good to go.

  20. #20Nige2020-02-07 06:51

    Kind of goes without saying but some fairly regular oil samples after putting the loader back into operation would help to establish a much better trend about the condition of the transmission. How regular is "regular" would depend entirely on how many hours the machine works per week, month, etc. e.g. if it works 50 hours/week monthly would be considered regular, if it works 50 hours/month then once every three months would probably suffice.

  21. #21grandpa2020-02-07 17:33

    I wouldn't be surprised if the magnetic filter has NEVER been service since the machines birthday!!!

  22. #22Phil P2020-02-08 20:11

    Hi The gasket and magnets came in Thursday I installed the filter and magnet. It took just about 7 gallons of TO-4 30W and then found I had a bad battery. I put 1 new battery in Friday and started the unit up. It ran on 3 cylinders for about 30 seconds before the missing one came on line. Raised the boom and put it in reverse. No hesitation at all drove it around a little and found the unit to be operating quite well considering. Put it back in the shop and me and a couple of cowboys spent an hour plus putting the skid plate back under the unit. It went back to work and I will get around to putting a new seat on latter. Phil P PS It does have 2 batteries.

  23. #23DB22020-02-08 22:38

    We had a 79J series that would always stumble three or four times after starting especially if it sat for a while. Got so I could tell when the next miss was coming. I believe it had the sleeve metering pump. Tough old machines.

  24. #24Phil P2020-03-06 06:21

    Hi Not so good news today noticed yesterday the engine was dropping the low compression cylinder while ruining and getting a white puff of smoke (unburned fuel) from the exhaust. Hope nothing has come unraveled they haven’t even cut the PO for the IT28F yet and this is the only loader we have operating at this time. Phil P

  25. #25old-iron-habit2020-03-06 22:55

    How long has it been since the fuel system was serviced? If it has been a while I would start there and also go thru the air cleaner filters, etc. A service and operators manual will be the cheapest parts you will ever purchase for that loader and will pay for itself many, many, times over. You can often find Genuine Cat ones on eBay. Just look every couple days. They come up often. Have you loosened one injector line at a time to see what cylinder is the problem and insure it is always the same one? The engine rpm will not change when you loosen the one that is not firing.

  26. #26Phil P2020-03-19 12:02

    Hi I have a problem with the 930 the head has a crack in it and I am trying to find a new one. The manual says it is a 3304 bit that engine has a 1/2 inch spacer plate under the head this one doesn't Any ideas? Phil P

  27. #27Nige2020-03-19 12:04

    What’s the engine Serial Number.?

  28. #28Phil P2020-03-19 13:12

    Hello Nige Here is the problem with the serial number plate. I have not tries scraping it or touch it in any way. Let me know if you have any suggestions. Phil I should stick to steam engines LOL

  29. #29Phil P2020-03-19 13:25

    Hello Nige I tried a lead pencil and looks like 41K2780 but that is the machine serial number

  30. #30Nige2020-03-19 13:59

    That should be right if it has the original engine. The 930 you have dates back from the time when machine and engine Serial Number were both the same. The engine will be a 300-Series, not a 3304. I’ll look up the parts details based on your S/N and post some info for you. Need to get online first and get into SIS. I’m out & about @ the minute. EDIT: I've PM'd you what I think you are looking for. It includes the cylinder head, cyl head gasket, and all the valve mechanism parts. Post back here if it's unclear or if you need anything else.

  31. #31Phil P2020-04-29 08:42

    Hello All I put a new head and exhaust manifold on the old 930 and it is running good, Ran it the first time Thursday 4/23 and then took 3 days off and then Monday after some PM we ran it for about 3 hours lifting some heavy implements in order to dissemble them for repairs. I did put a new thermostat and new non electric temp gauge in and the engine temp never got over about 165. Phil P

  32. #32Phil P2020-05-08 09:39

    Hi Just to let you all know the 930 is running well and the transmission goes in gear with a prominent engagement. We have about 12 hours on it now I plan to remove the rocker cover at about 20 hrs and check the valve adjustment. Phil P

  33. #33Phil P2020-05-11 15:20

    Hi Does the brake master cylinder on this machine use automotive brake fluid or hydraulic fluid? Phil P

  34. #34Nige2020-05-11 16:34

    Brake fluid unless the system has been previously modified in some way. According to the manual - "Use heavy duty hydraulic brake fluid meeting the requirements of SAE J1703."

  35. #35Phil P2020-05-12 05:33

    Thanks Nige That’s what I poured in it and that got them back in service. I didn’t now the brakes were not working until I overheard a conversation about knocking down gates LOL Phil

  36. #36Phil P2020-05-27 05:32

    Just an up date Braes are working well, engine starts easy and runs well, transmission goes in gear with a noticeable engagement and shifts well, gear shifter working smoothly and the neutral lock works and the tires are staying relatively round. Not bad for a unit that was destined for the scrap yard. Used it to get the radiator off the IT28F Phil P

  37. #37kshansen2020-05-28 15:04

    I'm a bit late to seeing this one but don't you like how some operators will live with something that could actually be deadly dangerous just because if they say something they are afraid they might have to get out of the machine and do some manual labor for once?

  38. #38DMiller2020-05-28 15:47

    We had that type in Every Quarry I worked in. Would drag the side of the cut wall on a haul road into the hole with no brakes on the old Eucs just so would not have to do something else beyond haul rock. The first one to INCIDENTALLY load his machine into the crusher pit would initiate a brake inspect on everything.

  39. #39Phil P2020-06-09 20:42

    Hi Have a look at Day5 and see the 930 doing it's thing. www.sallyscoffees.com/it28 Phil P

  40. #40Phil P2020-09-18 09:44

    Just thought I would give you an update. The 930 is doing well and most of the fellows that have been around this ranch for years express amazement that it is operating so well. Thanks for your help. Phil