Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

G’day from downunder

wastednights ยท 2014-08-23 21:27

G'day, I stumbled on this site whilst searching the internet, been poking through some threads for the past few hours, looks like a great resource I'm a Heavy Equipment Mechanic in Australia, been in the industry some 28 years, 20 of those I have been self employed, contract or independent repairer, mostly with civil construction equipment, but also with agricultural, mining/quarry and road transport. My exposure is mainly with Cat equipment, but Komatsu, Hitachi and Case also have strong followings here, in the Ag side John Deere, Case & New Holland are the big 3, I owned and operated an Agricultural dealership for a spell, we were dealers for Deutz Fahr and Claas. I run a small 1 ton ute here and carry enough on board to complete most repairs, servicing, electrical issues and air conditioning repairs. I also run Cat ET and Nexis with Cummins, Volvo and Detroit software. I've thrown up a photo of my ute, I'd have loved one of those service trucks you guys have complete with a crane, but sadly here we just don't have the margins and you would go broke trying to pay for it Anyways, I'm on the move, having accepted a job offer in Canada, work permit in order, I will be on deck next month, and looking forward to a new adventure I must say, after browsing the threads, the charge out rates you guys have are much better than ours in Australia.....Looking forward to long and prosperous career in a new land. Catch you somewhere in the threads

Replies11
  1. #1wornout wrench2014-08-23 21:35

    And a G'Day back at ya Wastednights But now you are going to have to learn to put "Eh" in a sentence! What part of Canada are you heading to? I'm on Vancouver Island on the west coast. Best place in the world to live (in my humble opinion)

  2. #2wastednights2014-08-23 21:42

    I'm heading to Alberta "Eh" What's the industry like in BC?

  3. #3fsmech2014-08-23 22:19

    Is that your swag on the ground? Nothing like camping the night at a jobsite!

  4. #4wastednights2014-08-23 22:21

    Yeah!!! Out near Surat CQ, had to wait overnight for a set of injectors!!

  5. #5wornout wrench2014-08-23 22:22

    I'm in forestry. Right now we are shut down due to the hot dry weather that we have had this summer. When you live in a rain forest and the rain stops, it gets really dry. Fire is a huge danger. Lots of jobs in BC. Depends what you want to do. The northern part will get you more money then the southern parts. Here is a link to a site that I use to see what is happening. It will give you an idea. I have worked with a few Auzzies in the past, good people, hard working and knew their stuff. Had a heck of a time trying to figure out what they were saying LOL And going for a few beer takes on a whole new meaning:drinkup:crazy Feel free to PM me. Welcome to Canada EH!

  6. #6wastednights2014-08-23 22:26

    Let me help your with a conversion chart: Few Beers = A carton I had fun over there last year watching people trying to decipher what I was saying

  7. #7wornout wrench2014-08-23 22:27

    Yup, pretty much My aching head LOL I see that the link didn't come up. Will try again http://www.wowjobs.ca/BrowseResults.aspx?q=heavy+duty+mechanic&l=BC&s=r

  8. #8wastednights2014-08-23 22:32

    Thanks Can't work out how to PM here :/

  9. #9wornout wrench2014-08-23 22:40

    Right under the Whats New there is a place that says Private message Click on it Should open up and there should be a spot where you can click on send new or something like that you might not be able to send a PM because you just joined.

  10. #10fsmech2014-08-24 05:12

    Is that An RM500? Do they Have a c series perkins/cat engine?

  11. #11wastednights2014-09-14 11:22

    C15 Cat