Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

G Series Console Strut

Queenslander · 2019-06-18 06:15

Sometimes the simplest of problems can cause you all sorts of grief. The gas strut on our G series grader failed... wouldn’t hold the console up. Two replacement options, genuine or Yellowmark. I installed the cheaper version and all was well for twelve months until it went again. Bought the genuine part, at two and a half times the price, and went to install it only to discover that it has a completely different thread... metric, for some unknown reason. Swapped it for another Yellowmark part and installed it but now can’t get it to lock in place. Wondering if I have another dodgy cylinder or is there a written procedure to install/adjust?

Replies4
  1. #1Mobiltech2019-06-18 07:53

    I haven’t seen a procedure but I know if you thread them in too far they won’t lock. You have to make sure the lock pin or trigger isn’t being pushed. There should be a jamb nut to lock the threads. I’ve had some New Cat replacements that only last a little over a year.

  2. #2Queenslander2019-06-18 16:18

    Yeah, should be simple stuff, the previous one that I replaced didn’t cause any dramas. What about the little steel ball, #19 on the drawing? This one fell out as I removed the strut... perhaps something is worn and it should be held up there.

  3. #3Mobiltech2019-06-19 07:37

    I think the steel ball runs in a ramp like groove which then pushes the trigger on the strut. You may have to grease your ball to keep it in. Greasing your balls can get messy though.

  4. #4Queenslander2019-06-19 16:59

    Having greasy balls seems to be the secret..LOL I realise now, that the problem I was having was the ball binding up from being dry. Thanks for your help Mobiltech.