Hi everyone, m' pretty impress about all good info we Can find In this forum . Very helpfull! I have a 1971 case 480B loader/backoe . Just had to flush and replace the 7.6 l shuttle oil this week cause there was too much water In it and was freezing. I also had some starter prob. It took lots of key stroke before it would engage. So removed and clean the selenoïd which i found was all soiled with that old watered shuttle oil. Can someone tell me if it' s normal to find shuttle oil In flyweel compartment? Result is that it throws it In starter selenoïd as there is a passage In bendix fork mechanism that is not sealed ? Thank you much!
dp on my 1970 580 there is a rubber gasket in the starter that keeps the shuttle oil out of the starter as far as oil in the flywheel compartment yes thats supposed to be there its not like a dry clutch compartment..Theres also a regular gasket on my 580 between the starter and bell housing that keeps the shuttle oil from leaking out externally...hope this helps
Thank you much xpack..., you're releasing a bunch of pressure; a flyweel Seal wouldn't be a good job to plan! First hour tomorrow i'll work on that rubber case. Hope i'll find it quickly. I'll keep you In touch. Best regards!
Undoubtedly some one has replaced the starter with a non sealed unit, if you take it to a rebuilder and explain that the original had a rubber bellows on the actuating rod to seal the oil and also the intermediate bearing plate had a seal on the shaft and a gasket under the plate. IIRC the rear casting was built to seal with an extension off the bottom of the rubber bellows. I believe I remember the casting being different to seal the bellows. Maybe if you get lucky someone has just rebuilt the original and left the seal parts out.
Look xpack how useful your advise was for me(pic) I've been to the local starter rebuilder and asking somewhat confident to buy the seal kit for my Delco remy starter. It took him 5 min. And brought me this kit he made out of his inventory. Only $25.00 Can. I installed it and now i thank i can sleep good for a couple of years. Thanks again, hope to talk to you again Dp
No problem Dp glad i could help and glad to hear that fixed it ........