Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

G188d . Is there any turbo models of this engine ?

Timberking ยท 2014-01-21 18:35

anyone ever done an engine swap in a smaller crawler ? what do you think of the Cummings b4 or is it 4b ? Engine is smoking at idle, lost power and increasing in blowby, considering just swapping with a Cummings ! Or adding a turbo to this G188d if possible. I thought the 207 was turbo'd but cant find anything much on either. What have you guys had better experiences with ?

Replies6
  1. #1apm2014-01-22 13:39

    The G188 is, I think, is Cases gasoline engine. The D188 is the diesel version of the same thing. They were used extensively in Case backhoes and in the small dozers through the "B" series. 450C and 550E use the Cummins 4-390. I think the 4B-390 is the turbo version. It may be a Case/Cummins hybrid. The 207 is the same as the 188 with only changes in the head. Greg

  2. #2stumpjumper832014-01-22 17:57

    To the best of my knowledge cummins did the 4-390 on its own without case influence, case just used them rather than continue making their own motors. I don't recal seeing a turbo 188, although case did turbo the 207. Apm, while the heads are different I seem to remember the 207 also had stronger connecting rods

  3. #3apm2014-01-22 20:04

    stumpjumper I'm sure knows much more about it than I do. I remember hearing that the 188 and the 207 were interchangeable. I've got an 1845B with the 188 and was told a 207 would bolt right in. I've got a 550E dozer with the 4-390. Greg

  4. #4Timberking2014-01-22 20:35

    My girl is a Case 450 crawler, straight 450. She just doesn't seem to have the power there. and instead of dumping the money into a rebuild, ( pump, injectors, full upper and lower overhaul). I thought maybe I could just pick up a good used cummins and throw it in my girl, and benefit from a little extra power at the same time. And APM, from everything I'v seen you are right, only difference is a little head work, would you be able to recall what the used the 207 in that was turbo'd ? having trouble finding anything on it, and it would be a ease of a swap with them being a bolt for bolt replacement.

  5. #5sheepfoot2014-01-23 01:15

    The 188D in your machine is rated at 50 hp. The 207D is 52.5 hp. also in the 450. It was also used in the 450B at the same hp. The 450c/455c used the 4T-390 @ 63 hp. and 4-390 @ 62 hp. but sae gross around 71. The 580 super D backhoe (first turbo) 207DT rated @ 60 hp. I do not recall seeing a factory made 188D turbo.

  6. #6Timberking2014-01-23 16:40

    So can the turbo system from the 207 be added to the 188d without any internal changes ? figured it would be cheaper to overhaul my 188 and add the turb than it would to purchase a turn key 207, what do you guys think ?!? And appreciate all the input guys, thanks a lot.