Like many of us, I just purchased this machine and started using it several years ago. Now my clutch started failing me, and the transmission won't shift. Looking around the transmission, I found a few drips, so I'm guessing its just low on fluid. I decided to change the filter while adding the fluid. After looking around the machine, it look likes the clutch operates off hydraulics. Today I pulled the tranny filter (Galion D-79360). I just looked on-line and its referring to this as a lube oil filter. The "stuff" that "drained" out of it looked like a combination of grease and 90 wt. It doesn't have an odor. Just exactly what lubricant does this transmission take? Judging from the minimal amount of information I can find, its going to be either ATF or hydraulic fluid.
Here are lubrication specs: http://www.tractorparts.com/PDFs/21.pdf Looks like SAE 90 (non-EP) gear oil or SAE 50 HD engine oil for Galion 118 A and 118B, or Dexron ATF for the 118C. If you scroll down to the Motor Grader section here; http://www.steeringclutch.com/transmissiondiscsGALION.htm there is quite a bit of info you may find helpful. Nothing on engines and transmissions, but a lot of other stuff is covered.
Ah, now this new information is great. Not sure where you got it, but if there is more information available, I would like to see a flow schematic on how all the fluid in the transmission moves around. Since my clutch isn't disengaging like it was, and now my gear shifting isn't shifting too good either, I'd like to see where all that tranny oil moves to and from so I can do additional trouble shooting.
Sorry, that is all the info I have. I stumbled on that link some time back when I was looking for any info I could find on a 118C that I was helping do an engine rebuild on. Hopefully, some Galion expert will see this post and give us some advice on clutches and transmissions.