Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Galion 125

14way ยท 2018-07-14 22:48

Hello all, newbi here and I just got my first RT crane. It's an old Galion 125. I 'm in need of some help with it as I can't seem to find a lot of info on these machines. The only numbers I find on it are from a tag riveted next to the seat. ( C-125-DH-1684) Anyone know appox what year? Also, I'm in need of the correct service, operators and parts manuals but I see some that are for an A series crane and I'm guessing I have a C series? The crane has a 6 cyl gas motor. Everything seems to work on it ,except the brakes, but the pedestal seems to rock side to side when it swings (guessing the swing bearing is shot?) Any help pointing me in the right direction with the right info would be very appreciated! Thanks in advance

Replies13
  1. #1crane operator2018-07-16 19:29

    Some pictures of the machine would help us identify age. I see a lot more 150 series than 125 series. The guys I deal with on my galion are http://www.contractorscraneco.com/ They aren't cheap, but they've got the parts. Mine is a 150 FA, but the books say komatsu on mine. The engine in yours might be a good clue to approximate age. Probably the best thread here, on a great rebuild job of a 150 A series is this one : HeavyEquipmentForums If your swing bearing is actually really, really loose, be sure to look at it closely before doing any heavy lifting- a ripped off turntable can ruin your whole day......

  2. #214way2018-07-16 21:53

    Thanks much for the reply! I contacted contractorscraneco and they say mine is a 1966. Whew, it's an old one eh. I did check out all the threads I could find and agree the rebuild of the 150 was great. I find a lot more info on the 150's too. I'm wondering how much different the 125 is and maybe a 150 service manual would be my best bet. Just seems very hard to find a service manual for a 125. I saw one on ebay for over $600 but I was hoping to find one a little more reasonable. Thanks Again

  3. #3crane operator2018-07-16 22:19

    My owners/maintence manual covers both 150 A and 150 FA versions. The A series have the narrow top/ angled cab and the small counterweight. The FA have the big weight and the bigger cab. Not that the bigger cab is very big either. If you've got a particular question you're looking for a answer for , I can probably copy some pages and send them to you. The 125 are probably real similar in how most of the systems work.

  4. #4cey1462018-10-22 03:17
  5. #5cey1462018-10-22 03:22

    Hi 14way. Wondering what you are finding out on your 125. I'm in the process of getting one also, and have been told it has no brakes. If you have found the issue on yours, I'd like for you to share with me what to look for, first. Thanks.

  6. #614way2018-10-22 21:46

    I found it's common for them not to have brakes. They are old and the hydraulic brake parts go bad and seems no one fixes them. They usually use the outriggers when lifting and drive on flat ground relying on the mechanical park brake for stopping. (not like it moves very fast anyway) Mine is from 1966 and I tell you it's been handy for what I've used it for, but there's much desired as it's an old worn out hydraulic crane. Meaning the controls aren't ergonomic etc. They're nicknamed neck breakers ( looking around the cab and to the side a lot) and if you where an octopus it'd be much smother/easier to operate. But it gets certain jobs done. It has it's purpose.

  7. #7cey1462018-10-30 19:33

    We found the master cylinder, opened it up, and found it to be bone dry. Rusty crud was inside so I've sprayed it with brake clean, and wiped it out good. Will get some brake fluid, open the lines to pump some thru, then close them and start looking for brake line leaks.

  8. #8Rudy Kraus2019-02-03 22:33

    No brakes on mine either. The hydraulic booster leaked oil into the master cyl, swelled the packing and seized it. Then nobody fixed it. I redid the booster about five times before I got it to seal. You have to use nitrile u-cups with backup rings and make sure all the surfaces are good. There was an alignment problem with the spool too. machining required. You can get a new one about $2000. The wheel cylinders will be rusted. You can possibly get cheap ones from 80' Ford or Gm 5 tons or bus applications. The labour is quite a bit of work. An IHC master cylinder can be used if you use the old piston or modify the new one. $80 to $100.

  9. #9Rudy Kraus2019-02-03 22:39

    I just found out that the 4wd on mine does not disengage. The plunger and detent moves but it seems not connected to anything. I wonder if someone has welded the sliding coulper to the output shaft?

  10. #10cey1462019-02-03 22:40

    Good information Rudy, thanks for sharing. I'm finding mine to have a bad seal on the top opening of the hydraulic tank. Causing some serious issues, will have to tackle it, next.

  11. #11Rudy Kraus2019-02-03 23:57

    Yes, leaks there will let water into the oil. The O ring is 2-439/n70 - 6.5 x 7.0 x .275" . This fits all of the tank covers. Also the dipstick o ring should be replaced.

  12. #12Rudy Kraus2019-02-04 00:18

    Older models have brakes with 1 wheel cylinder per wheel and possibly no booster. Mine is later model, having the booster and 2 cylinders per wheel. It is a wagner-lockheed system. s/n 1876 and up

  13. #13Al S2019-08-08 18:45

    I recently got caught in the allure of purchasing a Galion 125 C-125-DH-3944. I was glad to find this forum and that my unit isnt the oldest in the world. I have both the brake problem with the booster leaking into the master cylinder and oil in the water tank. I appreciate all the info. I had a cracked exhaust manifold. I was lucky to find an intake/exhaust/gasket that was lightly used. I have the original intake/exhaust that could easily be welded and last another couple years if anyone is interested. Al