Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Galion 150FA Gleason Reel

Tony Wells · 2023-08-24 10:41

I already kind of don't want to do this, but I was asked to... Does anyone have the assembly/disassembly instructions for the clockspring on this thing? I was told the spring was broken, whether it has a hole on the end or hook I don't know. At least everyone around it stopped, realizing the potential energy of the spring. The recoil unit is lying on a pallet waiting on someone brave (or stupid) enough to open it up. New one seems rare and pretty costly, so it might be worth looking at before buying a replacement. Any help appreciated, as always!

Replies8
  1. #1crane operator2023-08-24 11:07

    Contractors Crane in Houston are the guys for galion parts. I bought the whole reel from them to replace mine. It’s been 5-6 years ago and I think it was $3-4,000 then. Mine was so rusty I gave up on respringing mine. HOME Galion Broderson Terex Parts Sales, Service and Rental. Galion Crane Parts. Broderson Crane Parts. Galion Repairs and Rebuild. contractorscraneco.com

  2. #2crane operator2023-08-24 11:11

    I did open my old one up. It’s nothing exotic inside, just a big flat spring. Your old one is broken, so no big worries of huge amounts of spring tension. The flat bands can still flop around so pay attention.

  3. #3crane operator2023-08-24 11:13

    I’ve got a galion book but it doesn’t detail the spring reel takedown. I think contractors crane only had a drawing of it.

  4. #4Tony Wells2023-08-24 11:38

    Our shop guy says they want $6k now for it. I was hoping to respring it.

  5. #5crane operator2023-08-24 12:51

    The OEM didn’t sell the spring separately, and was more expensive than contractors crane for the whole can. I was hoping to just fix the end hook on mine, but the flat spring was broken in over a dozen places, and I was worried the case was so rusty that it wouldn’t hold up to a new spring, if I could find one. I would have been time and money ahead if I would’ve bought the whole thing new as mess around with the old one. Just a FYI- the hoses that the spring can holds tension on, are a special synflex hose that doesn’t stretch. You can’t use standard hydraulic hose there. The Houston guys have them premade to the right length and ready to drop in a box

  6. #6Tony Wells2023-08-24 14:12

    I guess that’s what I was hoping for. I have successfully bent such springs or drilled holes. But if it’s in pieces that’s not going help. I don’t really think this one is all rusted out, but of course can’t say until I get into it. If the spring has lost its anchor point, it’s already unwound so there shouldn’t be any tension. Just lots of caution removing it. If I get that far I’ll just drop it in a 55 and step back Thank you for the info.

  7. #7crane operator2023-08-24 14:53

    I looked and found the OEM back, its Gleason Reel. You can see if its possible to get the spring and some info from them.

  8. #8Tony Wells2023-08-25 21:07

    I'll get the contact info for them and hand it back to the shop manager. His guys got it this far and I got called in. I can't give them much more help than that. Well maybe if they get service info, I might be able to salvage the spring. I'll be sure and pass along the info on the special nature of the hoses. He may know that, but I'll make sure. I haven't looked at them, but I'm thinking that they will be replaced. Thanks!