Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Galion 240a grader

Clawed Backster ยท 2022-02-09 12:04

There is one coming up in an estate auction later this month. I had a Galion T500 a while back, but I am not familiar with the 240a. Looks to be a bit smaller than the T500, and quite a bit older. Looks like it has a 3-53 in it. I would just like to have it to keep my driveway in shape, but as crazy as prices are these days, it will probably fetch $8,000. Any of you guys familiar with this model? There is also a really cool looking old three wheeled Huber asphalt roller that I would probably kill myself on, trying to pack my steep gravel driveway. Lol

Replies5
  1. #1Clawed Backster2022-02-10 10:18

    Pictures

  2. #2Clawed Backster2022-02-10 12:54

    I guess that roller is an Austin-Western. No clue why I was thinking it was a Huber.

  3. #3rayman2022-02-23 20:03

    The Galion is a 3-71 engine

  4. #4Clawed Backster2022-02-24 04:26

    Yeah, someone else already clued me in on that, but thanks. Auction ends this afternoon, and right now that grader is just over $2,100. I am going to go check it out in person in a few hours. I am thinking that anything under $5,000 would be a good deal if it is in decent shape, and everything functions as it should.

  5. #5Clawed Backster2022-02-28 07:42

    I went and checked out the grader before the auction closed. It seemed to run good, but had been sitting unused for many years. Had a manual transmission with two shift levers, and the shifting diagram was so faded that I couldn't read any of it. The clutch seemed low on fluid, and didn't want to fully disengage. I did manage to get it into a gear and drive forward a bit, but I never could find reverse. The hydraulics all seemed to work, but it was low on fluid, so the pump was sucking air. Overall, the machine was in decent shape, but was going to need some tinkering. It ended up going for $4,750, and I have been kicking myself for not bidding a little higher on it. Nigh unto impossible to find a functional grader for five grand.