Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Galion 503 A Transmission filler plug..

TMIII · 2025-12-20 22:17

Wanting to drain the trans and give it a flush but am having issues getting the fill plug removed any advise would be awesome!

Replies7
  1. #1repowerguy2025-12-21 19:19

    That’s not the drain plug, what you’re looking for is on the ring gear cover down low on the transaxle.

  2. #2TMIII2025-12-23 12:40

    This is the fill plug correct? Just want to know I can get oil back into it after I drain it. And not having it stuck in a place with no trans fluid. never seen a plug like this.

  3. #3Welder Dave2025-12-24 05:10

    Sure doesn't look like a fill port but maybe? Was that standard bolt in there or you put it in? Never seen a fill plug with long fine threads. Looks like something else may go there too because of the smaller threaded hole. I'd expect a fill plug on the top but some are on the side. I think there a couple 503 owners on the forum that could help you.

  4. #4repowerguy2025-12-24 18:02

    The drain and fill plug are both on the ring gear cover plate. You’re looking at one of the counter shafts I think. The transaxle doesn’t hold much oil and doesn’t oil the main shaft unless the machine is in gear moving. Excessive idling in neutral is not a good idea.

  5. #5TMIII2026-01-01 12:04

    Thanks for the info. I did put the bolt in there 1/2" x 20. everything I have read on it, says it should be roughly half way up the transmission. This is the only thing I can find that seems like it would be a place to add fluid.

  6. #6TMIII2026-01-01 12:06

    This is the only place I can seem to find that looks like a fill plug. Located on the back side of the transmission housing half way up. Drain plug located on front right hand side. Thank you for reaching out

  7. #7Welder Dave2026-01-01 23:38

    Does the hole go into the trans. or is it a blind hole? Looks to have a bunch of crap in the bottom. I'd think a fill hole would be completely open to see inside. It could be a fill hole but you really need to find a manual or someone more familiar.