Me and my father have been working on his Galion 503 L motor grator. We have replaced the engine (3-53 Detroit) and just doing some well needed maintenance. We are in the process of replacing wheel cylinders and brake shoes and are in need of new spindle nuts. We did sacrifice one nut to make a knocker to remove the brake drums. Just having a hard time finding anything on the web about this machine. I do know it’s one of the last machines built I think but the serial number is GM-07318 and we don’t have any manuals for it. Also need to find the rubber mounts for the transmission crossmember that connects bottom side of the cab. If anyone could point me in the right direction or has any info about these parts we sure would appreciate the help. Thank you in advance.
Could you post a picture of the mounts? I have a parts book and can look up part numbers for you. The Komatsu dealer can then see if they are available. The nuts are unavailable. I got new ones from McMaster-Carr online. Measure them, I think they are 1.5 inch and fine threads. Replacement ones are fatter. My serial number = GM06886. I got wheel cylinders from napa.
This is just the bottom half the upper half was pretty much gone but it appears to be the same part.
This is the nut but I think it is course thread by count there is 9 threads I do believe and the end of the spindle does measure to 1.5”
If you can't get them from Komatsu you can probably find off the shelf rubber or urethane mounts online somewhere. a quick search of "rubber vibration mounts" found this place: https://www.avproductsinc.com/center-bonded/mounts.html . Don't know anything about them, just an example. Got any pictures of the grader?
Attached are scans in photo form of what I think you are talking about. #18 Hope this helps!
That's a slotted hex nut. Similar to a castellated (castle-) nut, but it appears to be a UNF in your pic. That would be a 1 1/2"-12 TPI. Off the shelf it may not be the correct thickness, but can be faced off if a lathe is available. If it is faced to length, it is fairly critical to get the face square to the thread. It's pretty easy even in a 3 jaw chuck if the original face is indicated true. Axial runout isn't a big factor. If you have an industrial fastener house, they should have a standard UNF nut. If it was a UNC, it would be 6 TPI, pretty coarse. Count the peaks in 1 inch. Nine is non standard. If it were really about 9, I would think Metric.
Those rubber mounts look fairly similar to Cat 931B/D3B (and many other models) motor and trans. mounts. They are available aftermarket. I think the center bolt is 3/4" but not positive. The hole on the other side is larger to fit in the steel mount but a bushing could be used if required. Google Cat 4N8204 motor mount. The smaller hole could easily be drilled out if required. As far as the nut goes does it matter if it's longer? You could grind the slotted side down easy enough if need be. Would be good to have a bolt to fix up the threads if you grind it.