Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Galion 503A

Broken shovel · 2018-05-24 23:52

Need a little advice from someone that knows. I am looking at a Galion 503A with a 6 cyl. gas IH engine all in pretty decent shape. The question is, does anybody have any specs on these. After Dresser, Fiat, etc. it is hard to find anything as far as weight, height, width, etc. Any help would be appreciated as I'm not sure where to look now as it seems all the companies that took over the Galion line just have no clue. Thanks again in advance.

Replies3
  1. #1Razorsedge20032018-05-25 22:48

    I have a 503 series L. I think it’s about 13,000 lbs. I haul on a 25+5’ gooseneck with a 97 Ford diesel fairly trouble free. Waukesha Diesel engine. Good machine. I wouldn’t say it’s much more than 7’ wide and 20’ long. I’d go out and measure but I’m in my undershorts!

  2. #2Broken shovel2018-05-27 15:55

    Thanks for the info. I figured a guy could haul one on a gooseneck with a decent truck. I have a 26' and a GM dually diesel so that should be good. Any idea what year yours is? With the Waukesha it must be early 60's late 50's.

  3. #3FWD2018-05-29 15:04

    I had a 1969 503A with an IH diesel 6cyl 236 Cubic inch. The 503L came out after that. I think the ones with the Waukesha were late model, perhaps when Dresser bought out Galion. Waukesha was owned by Dresser too. FWD