Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

GALION a606 brake bleeders

bsamot69 ยท 2020-09-26 10:52

My attempt to bleed the brakes on our GALION a 606 has been thwarted. I tried every wrench from 10mm(too small) to 12mm(too big) and every wrench from 3/8 to 7/16, including 11/32 with no joy. Can someone enlighten me on this? Does it require a special application wrench? I searched a bit and figure on saving the frustration and ask the wise sages here. Thank you in advance

Replies8
  1. #1.RC.2020-09-26 18:51

    About the only other head sizes would be whitworth. I would think that unlikely, but you never know what they used or someone put on there.

  2. #2Dave Neubert2020-09-27 07:54

    Probably rusted down did you try driving a socket on there or sometimes you can use a Torx socket . all else fails vise grips or weld a nut on it

  3. #3DMiller2020-09-28 06:30

    Dealt with this before, going to end up either vise grips or welding a nut around the bleeder heads remove them and replace them all.

  4. #4Vetech632020-09-28 07:50

    6 point socket of one of those should work. You may need to find the closest fit that is a bit small and drive it down on the bleeder. Dont use a 12 point socket.

  5. #5bsamot692020-10-20 14:27

    I appreciate your help. They are indeed rusted down and previously stripped. There is so very little room in that space, I foresee a true adventure.

  6. #6DMiller2020-10-20 18:49

    Is always remove the drum and brake cylinder, get the right parts and fix it correctly.

  7. #7Silveroddo2020-11-02 22:04

    Can you get the line loose? in a pinch, or on a farm machine I've had luck getting the line cracked and using a suction gun to get fluid that far in the line, set the line loose and "bleed" it via the line. Its not text book and its a temporary solution but sometimes it gets the job done.

  8. #8bsamot692020-11-03 23:31

    I ended up doing something similar. I attached pressure bleeder and cracked the fitting bolt to back of backing plate. Got a spongy pedal, that's something better than it was, thanks for the tip.