Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Galion!?! Now I really need ya’ll’s help!!

mitch504 ยท 2010-05-28 06:40

As you know if you've read my other grader thread "34 month incubation" I have spent about the last 3 yrs learning everything I could about Austin-Western graders. I have an extensive collection of A-W manuals, parts, and knowledge. I have put all new hoses, filters, fluids and hundreds of hours in my A-W. So, today I bought a Galion I know nothing about a Galion. It is a 118 series C with a six cylinder Cummins engine, and 6 forward and two reverse. It has sat up for a while but they said when they parked it nothing was wrong but the shift linkage. A man I know who buys scrap metal bought it for $1500 and has been talking about it for a month. I told him my grader was broken and I'd like to have it but I had very little money. Several times he told me he had it sold but if I'd match the offer I could have it. I never had the money he wanted. He kept saying I couldn't go look at it cause he didn't want the man he bought it from to know he was selling it that way. He kept saying he was going to move it to his place and he'd call me when he had. Night before last he said I'd lost it cause he was selling it to an exporter. Yesterday he called me and said he had untill 5pm to get it off the property and he had no lowboy and was going to lose the money he paid, so if I'd help him move it I could have it for an equal weight of scrap metal. I took 2 trucks and a trackhoe up there and got it. When I got it to the shop it took about a half hour to crank it but the engine seems to be very good. All the functions work except the blade sideshift. There is a pretty good bit of slack in the circle. It is stuck in high on the main shifter and both shift linkages have a huge amount of slack in all there several pins and pivots, but nothing a drill press and some bushings won't fix. It has a shifter similar to a cabover truck on the side of the transmission which is stuck in gear. It drives well in 3rd and 6th. Now the help: Where is the serial number on the grader? There is a tag above the steering wheel with the cab #s and a tag under the wheel with the shift pattern but I found no others. There is what appears to be a date cast into the block: 10-19-62 but my serial # guide says series Cs were made from 71-74. Is there still a Galion parts source? What problems did 118Cs have? Here are some pictures; the first is the grader, the second is the adjustable angle ripper cause it's neat, the third is something on the blade lift shafts that must be some kind of brake to stop drift. the blade lift works with cylinders in front of the cab. What is this thing and what is what looks like two kinds of pins with handles on it? Thanks in advance, Mitch

Replies11
  1. #1mitch5042010-05-28 07:05

    Engine help This grader has a six cylinder cummins engine in it. The engine has three heads. Cummins is written on the fuel pump but except for some numbers cast in the block I see no tags or IDs. There appears to be a date cast into the block: 10-19-62 but it may not be cause I think the machine is early 70s, or the engine may be a '62 and the grader a '72. It has a fuel system similar to a 2-cycle detroit, with a fuel pump on the side and one line going to all the injectors. I need to know what engine this is. The first picture is the left side of the engine, the second is the right side but so bad as to probably be useless, the engine is in the grader bacwards of course so the left and right would be reversed if it were in a truck. The third picture is of a tank or filter on the side of the engine in the fuel circuit. I have seen this before and knew what it was once but not anymore.:beatsme Thanks again, Mitch

  2. #2ledsel2010-05-28 13:00

    Picture no. three is a float tank for the fuel. You need this on the cummins or the engine will lock up if it sits for a period of time. Not too long eather. The fuel will slowly drip into the cylinders through the injectors because the fuel tank is up high. The thing on the lift shaft is for adjusting the lift. You pull the pin and set in another hole.

  3. #3562C2010-06-03 06:31

    Pictures aren't very clear on my computer, however. Six cylinder Cummins engine. The pump will be a "PT" (pressure/time) pump. The pump just builds pressure, and the injectors are fired by an extra lobe on the cam. There will be three rockers for each cylinder under the valve cover, intake, exhaust, and injector. One of the clues to age is where the fuel line goes from the top of the pump. If it splits and goes to 6 ports on the side of the heads, it's a 743 inch engine, sold anywhere up to 220 hp in trucks. Only ones I've seen in graders (that still had the tag on the engine) were set for 135 hp. Seen them in Wabco's and Champions. My 562 champion has a four cylinder 495 inch version of this . If the line goes to one end of the engine and hooks to the head, it's an 855 inch cummins. Not sure when they switched from one style to the other, but I'm pretty sure a 1968 Western Star I drove a whole bunch of years ago had the 855 engine (250 horse). I saw a 1966 champion last week with the 743 inch engine. Galion was made in Galion Ohio maybe other places too? Goood luck finding parts, a lot of stuff this age has been sent to the scrap bin over the last few years with the high prices for iron. THe other guy is right about the fuel can too. I took mine off because it was leaking and had the problem he described. Just put a ball valve on the line from the tank and shut the fuel off every time I park it.

  4. #4alwaysbusted2010-10-25 23:13

    Sounds a lot like my Galion 104. The serial # is located on the sheet metal below the bench seat on a tag just to the right of center. The first part is the model # followed by a single alpha to designate the engine, ie "C" is for Cummins, followed by a sequential number. that tag is very similar to the tag you found up by the steering shaft bearing. I could use some advice on pulling the hubs so I can do a brake job on mine.

  5. #5mitch5042010-10-26 00:35

    The only part of that tag that is there is the rivets. At some point in it's life somone removed all the serial number tags and decaled this machine as a 118 c from the early '70s. It is actually a 118 a from 1962. I did finally find what I think is the serial number stamped in the push plate at the front. I have an 8" thick service manual that covers all galion graders from the '50s to the late 70s. What did you want to know and I will look it up for you.

  6. #6alwaysbusted2010-10-26 23:18

    That's a goldmine! I have exhausted most all of the local resources for a hundred miles around for help on this old machine. What I need right now is info on the hub puller to remove the rear wheel hubs to gain access to the brakes. my serial # is 104-C-06046. The PO replaced the Cummins with a Detroit 471 which runs quite well. If you can provide info on the brake access I would really appreciate it. Thanks. My email is: [email protected]

  7. #7mitch5042010-10-26 23:41

    I'll look tomorrow when I get to the shop

  8. #8shinny2011-12-28 22:18

    Hi I have a GALION MN 104 SN CMD21680. Really need to know the proper operating weight because I have to ship it I has a three cylinder Detroit in it 13 ft moldboard 13:00:25 tires 26 ft long 10 ft high 7 1/2 wide Perhaps one of your manuals would have this listed Please help if you can Shinny

  9. #9CatGrader2012-02-05 13:50

    Jesus H Christ. sorry no comment. lol As you know if you've read my other grader thread "34 month incubation" I have spent about the last 3 yrs learning everything I could about Austin-Western graders. I have an extensive collection of A-W manuals, parts, and knowledge. I have put all new hoses, filters, fluids and hundreds of hours in my A-W. So, today I bought a Galion I know nothing about a Galion. Mate that made me laugh so much. i think I done some damage to my diaphram. :cool2

  10. #10charliegates2012-02-05 23:37

    I can not start a thread so I have to post here. Does anyone have some advice on identifying the hydralic cylinder in the pictures I am posting? I only know this is a well used Galion grader. I purchased it about two months ago and the kids and I have finally got it running. After driving for a few minutes I noted fluid coming out of the cylinder when I attempted to straigthen the wheels which lean far to the left. I am interested in rebuilding this so the kids and I can do it as a father son project. Click this url for the pictures as I can not attach pictures either. http://photobucket.com/galion Thanks

  11. #11MagnetGenerator2012-02-07 20:24

    Perhaps ask Alwaysbusted - he seems to have some knowledge on the topic. I specialize in [XXXX]Magnetic Generators.