Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Galion T500 model L

Clawed Backster · 2010-02-14 09:17

I recently bought a Galion T500 model L. It is pretty well worn, but it was what I could afford. I am looking for any manuals for it, as I really don't know much about it. It has a DT466 engine, and two seperate 2 speed transmissions. It is an all hydraulic machine, and everything seems to work except the power steering. I have found the problem with the steering, just the little gizmo that controls the valve to the cylinder, and I should have it fixed before long(I think). Any advise, information, vicious rumors etc. about it would be much appreciated. Thanks, James

Replies11
  1. #1RonG2010-03-02 05:56

    You Buzzin' there,Marshmarsh?Ron G

  2. #2Clawed Backster2010-03-02 08:14

    Took him quite a few lines to make his pointless. Stupid spammers.

  3. #3346ci2013-01-16 09:18

    I know this is a long shot but I'm having the same steering problem with a '72 T500L. Sometimes it wants to stick/freeze and takes a few seconds for the power steering to kick back in. The hyd fluid level is good and there are no exterior leaks that can be seen so I'm thinking it is internal. I found a operators manual and have it on the way. I'm trying to hold off on a service manual since the local dealer wants $350. Any help? Thanks

  4. #4denver m farms2013-01-16 21:28

    We had a t500l for a long time up until about 3 years ago. if i can find the service manual it's yours, IF i can find it.

  5. #5346ci2013-01-17 07:17

    That would be great, Thanks.

  6. #6denver m farms2013-01-23 21:45

    I have not been able to find it yet and don't know if i am going to at this point, but i will keep trying.

  7. #7Cryil Noble2025-10-27 19:25

    I know this post is old but do u still have the T500?, i got one and it has no steering, I would love to know what that gizmo was and if it fixed your problem?

  8. #8Clawed Backster2025-10-27 19:39

    No, I sold that grader many years ago. If I remember correctly, there was a small pivoting piece of steel that controlled the hydraulic valves for the power steering. It was just worn down, and I had a friend build it back up with brazing rod. It was a simple fix, and worked perfectly afterwards. Sorry that I'm not more help, but I am going by a distant memory.

  9. #9Cryil Noble2025-10-27 19:46

    Thanks it’s great that u remember, was this pivoting rod located out near the steering cylinder or back near the cab and steering wheel? Thanks again

  10. #10Clawed Backster2025-10-27 20:00

    If I remember correctly, it was located on top of the main beam, about half way between the cab and the front axle. It was what "sensed" the rotation of the steering shaft and triggered the hydraulic valves. Besides getting the little piece brazed up, it was a very quick and simple fix. If I'd had a new replacement part on hand, it would have been a 15 minute fix. Seems like there was a small cover over the worn part that I had to remove in order to get to it.

  11. #11Clawed Backster2025-10-27 20:10

    I think that the little part was about 2 inches long.