Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Gallion 104 steering

scurtisbjc ยท 2010-05-21 22:25

I have an older Gallion 104 (serial 8258-d I would guess in the late 60's)that I use on our private road. The steering just started acting up. It seems to continually pulsate almost like it is airbound or starving for fluid. I have tried adjusting the flow valve under the steering wheel but turning one way makes the steering very hard (manual steering almost) and the other way makes it pulsate faster. As it pulses, the actual shaft going out to the front wheels actually rotates a half an inch or so. Hydrolic fluid is full and all other hydrolics function fine. I am not a mechanic but I tinker a little so any thoughts? Any help is appreciated. I can attach a picture of the steering and hydrolic mixing block if that would help.

Replies1
  1. #1Grader4me2010-05-22 06:17

    Sounds like you have an air lock, that happened to me once. I just cracked the lines going into the steering cylinder, retightened and it worked fine.