has 4 batteries and dont know hook up
Picture of the batteries please.
I would think if you look carefully at the starter or alternator it will be stamped on one or the other with the proper voltage.
Yep!
I have a old Gallion 104B which is close to the A500, mine is 12 volt one large battery. Check your batteries for their voltage rating, then look at how they are wired. Remember in parallel (+ to + and - to -) voltage is constant amungst all four. If it's wired in series (+ to -) voltage adds by each battery you have. 2- 12 VDC batts= 24 VDC system or 4 -12 volt batts=48 VDC in series. Or 12 VDC in parallel.
Be aware that some Galions are 12V load (lights, instruments, controls) and 24V start. They use a 12V alternator charging 2 or 4 12V (or maybe even 6V) batteries and utilise a 'series/parallel switch' to supply 24V to the starter. So you may have a 12V alternator and a 24V starter. Google 'Delco Service Bulletin 1S-135' for a rundown on series - parallel switch operation. I've got some sketchy info somewhere. I'll find it and post it up.