Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Gas-boy pump rebuild

EGS ยท 2011-03-05 20:08

I just got a Gas-boy fuel pump and it is seized up. I am thinking of rebuilding the pump with this kit. http://www.petroparts.com/mm5/merch...PROD&Category_Code=PTS600&Product_Code=104383 Has anybody rebuilt these pumps with any success?

Replies16
  1. #1willie592011-03-05 20:43

    You have made sure it's the pump section locked up and not the motor section? If it's the pump section, looks like that kit has what you need to repair it.

  2. #2grandpa2011-03-05 20:46

    Looks like the kit has parts to service the motor too Atco...... should be the mother of all fixes....lol

  3. #3EGS2011-03-05 21:08

    I am going to finish taking it apart on Monday and find out how bad it is. I was trying to work on it today but between talking about corn planters with my father in law and working on this pump the woman was getting impatient. Woman?

  4. #4willie592011-03-05 21:23

    You got a woman? Hell...I gotta boss! Bah ha ha hahaha

  5. #5digger242j2011-03-05 22:23

    There's a difference?

  6. #6willie592011-03-05 22:30

    Now that you mention it...they do look the same.:yup

  7. #7Greg2011-03-05 23:05

    No, there ain't a difference. Boss, woman, all the same. I would take it apart before getting the kit. I have seen the magnets in the motor section break up and fall off of the motor housing. If that is the case you can also get a motor housing with the magnets glued to it. These are permant magnets and are kind of a ceramic thing.

  8. #8btschuchard2011-07-15 15:26

    I have an old gas boy 70 series. It was not pumping consistently any longer, so I picked up a rebuild kit. Replaced all the parts exactly how they came out, now it only pumps air ! will build up pressure, but wont pump fuel. Any ideas?

  9. #9Randy882011-07-18 14:45

    Not sure of the 70 series but one of mine has a key in it that always shears off and needs to be replaced constantly, its a poor design and we finally replaced the plastic key with a metal key, now it overheats the motor instead. Probably didn't help you much, the other thing is does it have a check valve in the system somewhere so it doesn't loose its prime, I've had to replace a few of those over the years on different models and brands of pumps.

  10. #10btschuchard2011-07-18 15:25

    Thanks for the reply randy. I did replace the fiber key and can see where that would be a real pain. I did figure it out this morning after a good weekend think session. I rebuilt the pump while it was still attached to the fuel tank. I removed the pump from the tank this morning and found the draw pipe in the tank had unthreaded it self and is now lying on the bottom of the tank.:Banghead I threaded up another pipe and man does it pump fuel now. ointhead. Thanks for the help.

  11. #11btschuchard2011-07-18 15:27

    BTW, the check valve had fallen apart and was just lying inside. The kit I got had all those parts with it, so all is good now.

  12. #12Randy882011-07-19 22:12

    Good to hear you got it going again.

  13. #132stickbill2011-07-19 23:25

    Hey don't hook it to 24 volts!!!!! I know some operators that did that.Boss told them it ran on 12 or 24.

  14. #14Komatsu 1502011-07-20 07:09

    Don't feel bad I did one and screwed around for a couple of hours before I realized I'd hooked it back up with the wires reversed. So is the white wire ground or the black wire?

  15. #15juminjim2013-11-19 16:56

    gasboy 70 series runs but is not pumping I rebuilt my 70 series gasboy pump and installed it on a new 1/3 hp motor. Dropped it back in the 300 gallon tank and it is running but will not pump up the desiel ? I check the down tub, after reading this thread and it is fine. I ran the pump while i had it out and it feels like it is sucking, the down tube is at least a foot in the fuel but yet nothing comes out. I open the cover to the rotor to verify it is spinning and it is. Please help ?!?!?! I am out of ideas. Thanks in advance

  16. #16mitch5042013-11-19 18:14

    Try filling it with motor oil through the outlet, then turning it on. Sometimes they need a little help priming with new stuff.