Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Gas Mileage

stretch · 2011-04-23 21:44

Quick question pertaining to my search for a truck. Do older trucks have better MPG? The old man was saying his '87 F-150 got on average 18 MPG. Two of my friends have '97 150s and get about 11 or 12 MPG. If it's true, I'm suspecting environmental regulations and cleaner engines reducing possible MPG. :bash

Replies28
  1. #1Lee-online2011-04-23 21:53

    My 99 f150 with the 5.4 (330ci) gets 13 on average but will get 16 on highway with cruise control. My old 82 bronco with a 351w and a c6 got less than 10. My 78 scout with a 348 got less than that. Technology has improved in every aspect and has improved overall fuel mileage.

  2. #2Vigilant2011-04-23 21:57

    I have a '95 F-250 Supercab as a second vehicle, with a 351, 5-speed, geared LOW, that consistently gets 15 MPG around town and to/from work (20 miles each way highway). If I run it much over about 60 MPH, the fuel economy does suffer. I had a '99 F-150 Supercab 4X4 with a 4.6 automatic that consistently got around 16.5, fighting the heavy winds in the Miswest. I also had an '88 F-150 with a 300 Six and 5-speed manual that consistently hit 19 MPG. I should have never sold it.

  3. #3Dozerboy2011-04-24 18:39

    For the most part they get better other then diesels of coarse. Our 07 Tahoe gets 17-19 at 75-80 I know of many guys that get ~20 with the newer 1500s.

  4. #4dirty4fun2011-04-24 20:43

    My F250 with a V-10 is getting 13.6 till I put the goosenck behind it then it drops to around 9. It would seem they could all be better, makes me wonder if the manufactures aren't getting a kick back from the oil companies. if a semi weighing 80K gets around 8, it would seem a pickup could do a lot better than they do.

  5. #5grandpa2011-04-24 21:17

    Had a '85 bronco with a 300 six with a manuel with overdrive. Couldn't pull a woman of the night off a toilet, but got 22 mpg.

  6. #6Greg2011-04-26 20:23

    99 Ford F350 with powerstroke diesel and 6 speed standard gets almost 21 on the road.

  7. #7grandpa2011-04-26 20:41

    2011 Super Duty with the new Ford 6.7 is getting 17.3 average just driving around town,,,, the truck now has 325 miles on it..... wow, what a ride/

  8. #8Dozerboy2011-04-26 20:43

    Hope you had your tinfoil hat on when you said that.

  9. #9cat9802011-04-27 22:04

    97 ford f250 powerstroke diesel gets 18 around town and 20 highway

  10. #10Greg2011-04-28 21:05

    grandpa, is it true you can't get a six speed standard with the new Ford Powerstroke? If so, my 35 year love affair with Ford pickup trucks is over.

  11. #11grandpa2011-04-28 21:47

    Its true greg... no manuels offered behind the diesel. Its the first automatic i've ever had.... one impressive truck. I took it on a hundred mile road trip today,,, and it averaged 21.3 mpg. Good enough for grampa....... Go give one a test drive greg ,, ,the truck will take ur breath away.

  12. #12IHJIM2011-04-28 21:59

    My '70 International 1200, 304v8, automatic, gets around 14mpg. My '74 International 200, 4x4, 392v8, 4speed, gets 7mpg. Jim

  13. #13Dozerboy2011-04-29 19:34

    Better yet get a new GM Duramax and blow you mind, but again no manual. I think even Dodge did way with theirs or is going to. Really unless you can't live without rowing gears the newer autos are better any ways.

  14. #14grandpa2011-04-30 08:35

    I did try out the new Duramax, very nice truck but the Super Duty had more power by quit a bit and got quit a bit better fuel milage doing it...... either one are nice trucks.

  15. #15grandpa2011-04-30 09:49

    Quite* got to fix it or OCR the spelling police will tickit me.....bawah h hah hahaa

  16. #16koldsteele2011-04-30 09:54

    Its ticket not tickit...old people ??

  17. #17tctractors2011-04-30 15:31

    The cost of Road Diesel in the U.K. is now £1.45 a litre, for Farm Diesel (Red Diesel) this is Taxed at a low rate and is used in Construction machinery, a good price is about £.70 pence a litre, at these prices your Dodges and Ford's would be rare things on the roads, the new thing is Hy-brid cars, bit of an engine with a bit of an electric motor, soon in the U.K. we will be like the Flintstones, they had a Car but it was sort of scuffed along with their feet, the price you are paying for fuel is very low, enjoy it while it last's. tctractors

  18. #18grandpa2011-04-30 16:40

    Hippyies.....lol

  19. #19Lee-online2011-04-30 16:50

    One of the reasons fuel is expensive in England is because of the taxes imposed on it by the government. Here in the US they also tax it, just not as much as England and Europe. That "free" health care, it isn't so free is it.

  20. #20Greg2011-04-30 19:17

    Dealer that handles both Ford and Chevy told me he could get me a duramax with a standard. I am not a General (Government) Motors guy at all and have not been for years and years. I have had one truck, a Ford, with an automatic in it. Hated it from the day I took it home. For the things I do, including plowing snow, I love my 6 speed standards and never have to worry about one going to he-- in the snow. The simple fact of the matter is I want the thing in the gear I want it in when I want it there with out the da-- computer deciding it for me. From what I understand Dodge still has a standard too. So I guess I better start buying up Ford F350's with six speeds in them for the long haul.

  21. #21koldsteele2011-05-01 00:06

    Its hippies not Hippyies ...C'mon man pull yourself together ...

  22. #22Dozerboy2011-05-04 18:53

    He doesn't know what he talking about. GM hasn't offered a manual since 06 and even at that very few where produced.

  23. #23CEwriter2011-05-05 11:03

    Compare the horsepower of the '87 to the '97. The newer one is probably a fire breather compared to the '87.

  24. #24Mack1852011-05-05 19:27

    Snapped this the other day pulling a tool trailer loaded with an air compressor, welder, tools, couple of truck tires and some other crap. All local driving, no interstate. 2010 Superduty w/ 6.4 PS.

  25. #25CM19952011-05-05 20:12

    That's it Lee. The world market is based on the cost of a barrel of oil. What countries tax that barrel, after it reaches their shores, is why it costs what it does at the pump.

  26. #26Greg2011-05-06 21:59

    I am just saying what the salesman told me. If he did not know what he was talking about don't blame me. I am just the messanger.

  27. #27stretch2011-05-07 16:28

    Thanks for the info guys, it's gonna help me quite a bit. Now, I've got a more specific question. One of the trucks I might be looking at is a 1977 F-250 w/gas 390 V8 and 4 spd. What would be the average MPG for that truck, or the mid-late 70s Fords in general?

  28. #28Greg2011-05-07 17:17

    I have a 1975 Ford F-250 highboy four wheel drive with a 360 V8, 4 speed. It gets about 13 no matter what you do with it.