Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Gave my D6 a little love

One guy construction · 2020-01-22 10:05

Finally I have a post without asking about a problem.. My paint shop was a little slow so I brought my dozer in for some tlc. Paint was just faded some and had typical scratches but no dents. Gave it a paint job and I swapped out the cable that was on it and put a smaller one and cable chokers on. Made a holder for the chokers. Was gonna make a high roller like the real loggers have but for no more than i will be use it this will be fine. Got my new building done so everything will be inside now Ive been trying to clean them up.

Replies23
  1. #1Bls repair2020-01-22 10:24

    Very nice

  2. #2Junkyard2020-01-22 11:14

    That’s sweet! I like the choker setup.

  3. #3cuttin edge2020-01-22 12:39

    Nice garage

  4. #4One guy construction2020-01-22 13:02

    Thanks. Just finished it up till spring then the floor will get done

  5. #5Mike_IUOE2020-01-22 21:45

    Looks really good. Thats a nice set up you got there.

  6. #6catman132020-01-22 22:56

    beautiful CAT house

  7. #7Fletcher2020-01-23 07:44

    Nice setup. I am going to do something similar with my old d6b. Can you report back how well the cable holder is working in the Bush? With your winch brake are you able to keep 4 log ends up high enough to skid out without too much trouble?

  8. #8One guy construction2020-01-23 08:48

    If I was going to be doing a lot of skidding I would add the top roller to lift up the logs ends more so to save the choker wear and less rutting of the roads. I don’t have much logging to do and I was using the original 3/4 cable with hook and several choker chains. It drug 4-5 logs behind it like it wasn’t anything there. Just wasn’t pretty. I only really Ned to skid logs up over steep banks from where I’m widening/daylighting roads. My fields that I’m making I just stack and load with excavator

  9. #9Nige2020-01-25 04:13

    A suggestion if you plan on laying a concrete floor. See if you can get hold of some scrap lengths of railroad track and cast them into the floor with about 1/4" or a hair more of the rail head showing above the finished surface level. It keeps the grousers of the track shoes from ripping up the concrete.

  10. #10cuttin edge2020-01-25 08:59

    The former paper mill here had a D6 at it's dump site. When not in use, it was kept in a building. The floor was poured with two hardwood strips like the deck of a float. It could be changed but as far as I know, it lasted at least 15 years, until the mill shut down

  11. #11Vetech632020-01-25 09:17

    I'll admit...…..when I read this thread title, I was expecting a pic of the OP hugging his dozer.

  12. #12Welder Dave2020-01-25 14:17

    I think conveyor belting would be a good option for the floor. It could be easily removed if you need the space for something else and/or you need the floor flat. If you had to use a jack or something else with wheels a rail sticking up might pose a problem.

  13. #13Nige2020-01-25 15:08

    Pretty much every shop I've ever worked in had rails set into the floor in the tractor bays. Do it right with around 1/8-1/4" of rail showing above the concrete and it's not even a trip hazard, let alone something that would bugger you up using a jack. Just because there are rails set in the floor doesn't mean to say that rubber-tyred equipment can't use it.

  14. #14Welder Dave2020-01-25 15:16

    I've seen rails in shops that a large portion of their work is on crawler tractors which makes sense. This looks to be on a farm where there would be a multitude of uses for the building. Maybe I'm thinking about if I was fabricating or repairing something where I needed a large flat floor.

  15. #15DMiller2020-01-25 16:31

    We had rails set in one shop floor, as noted were 1/8-1/4" above the concrete after finish as well they had been left Exposed so could use the Rail Head for a Tie Down, we used them for trailer alignment work straightening Operator Errors.

  16. #16One guy construction2020-01-27 07:49

    I am putting radiant heat in the floor and since I have access to large stainless steel plates 8'X22' 3/16 thick, I will just lay those down in the bays that I will be driving in on. This is on my farm so its not heavy use in or out.

  17. #17kshansen2020-01-27 09:28

    Never had the chance to work in shop with the radiant heat but a guy I worked with did some moonlighting work for a local place that had it in a small one bay shop. He said on a cold day it was almost too nice to be laying on creeper under a machine! Was told once that they had considered using that in the shop I spent 40+ years working in when it was built in the early 1970's but they opted to go with two 500,000 BTU fuel oil forced air heaters and regretted it several years later when fuel prices jumped! They did eventually switch to used oil heater but they can be a hassle if you are not up on the maintenance or let anyone dump crappy oil in the tank. I do have it in two bathrooms in the house and sure feels nice on a cold morning in the winter!

  18. #18cuttin edge2020-01-27 10:52

    What I like about it is the recovery time. Open the overhead door and take a loader out, and it is no time warming back up. The floor dries fast too. Only thing, if someone cranks the thermostat, it takes a while to cool off

  19. #19One guy construction2020-01-27 11:52

    I first put it in my house and my garage. Then I did new addition at my shop 40,000 sq ft. Employees love it. I will not do a floor with out at least making provisions for in floor heat.

  20. #20One guy construction2020-01-27 15:18

    After Welder Dave got me hooked up with plans for a Flop root rake, the amount of work I was getting done in a day compared to just an excavator and a CTL. WOW I darn near did do some luven in the seat about that.. LOL. PS. please don't visualize that or you will never get that image out of your head

  21. #21Welder Dave2020-01-27 15:53

    Must be a different Welder Dave. LoL

  22. #22One guy construction2020-01-27 16:20

    Oops. It was Metal Man that sent me the drawings.

  23. #23Welder Dave2020-01-27 16:29

    Kudo's to Metal Man.