the manual for my 2007 Gehl CTL80 says to use SAE90 GL4 in the final drives. Can't find it anywhere. can't get Gehl to reply to my question about what to use. there is a lot of GL5 oil available. is there any "yellow " metal in the drives that would be harmed by using 85W140 GL5? or are there better recommendations?
Can you get hold of an SAE50 TO-4 oil.? That is the same viscosity as an SAE90 GL-4/5 and it doesn't care a jot if there is yellow metal in the compartment or not.
You may try a lower unit lube for boat motors. It is usually a 90 weight GL4.
That's the only gl4 I could ever find. I've used 75w-90 for a while, but I think that was too thin. Could see some glitter in the old oil. I use 85w140 now.
Thanks for the replies. I can find 85W140 in GL5 , but not GL4. It looks like I can find TO-4 SAE50 by Sunoco and Phillips 66 online in 5gal pails. I haven't tried the Cat dealer. any experience with Sunoco or Phillips?
We were contracted to Conoco/Phillips 66 on the last job. Good oil.
Taki excavators spec the same oil in the drives. This is a helpful thread, I need to change out the drive oil in my Taki 153.
GL5 is a newer spec. than GL4 so it will be fine . Do not use a TO4 oil that is not a EP type oil. Bob
Lots of good info. Read a lot about oil. It is my understanding that GL5 has more EP additives than GL4. These extra additives make it corrosive to “yellow metals” such a bronze, brass. Newer GL5 oils may be buffered to solve the corrosion issue, but I don’t know this as fact. So I guess my real question, is there any yellow metal in a gehl ctl80 final drive that could be harmed by using GL5 rated oil? Can seem to get Gehl dealer to answer this question.
If you look on the GL5 bucket you should see meets GL4 service requirements and the yellow metals story is mostly story. Bob
Hi Bob, Yes, the oils I have researched that are marked GL4/GL5, indicate that they meet the specifications for both. Yet some give the “yellow metal” caution and recommend using GL4, if that is what the manufacturer recommends. thanks again for your help.
Of course most of this is centered around using the oil in a transmission, rather in a final drive on a compact track loader. Thanks again
Anyone used Shell Omala S2 G 220 gear oil in a compact track loader final drive? This looks to be readily available in 5 Gal bucket.