I need some recommendations for a 85/140 synthetic oil....or a better substitute I think the problem is incredibly high heat in this application. The application is a hyd powered gear head on a mulcher. __________ Gear Oil
Approx ambient temperature..? Hot I imagine. How much oil is in the compartment..? What is the problem - high oil temperature..? Where are you in India..? Reason I ask I'd that my eldest son is working in Pune right now.
CAT TDTO 50 and add any one of the following: Hilton Hyperlube, POWER PUNCH EXTREME PRESSURE GEAR OIL ADDITIVE, or STP oil Treatment for gearboxes, in order of my preference. Kinda old school but I've had good luck with using this in high stress planetary drives. Synthetics are good too or course.
I work for a lubricant manufacturer also, send me a PM and we can talk
zombie thread revival. I have question regarding gear oils. Would there be any equipment/climate that would use a 68 gear oil? Sorry for the newb question but im not very familiar with the gear oils that heavy equipment uses.
If you are talking about ISO 68 I think that is as light as gear oil can get? Normal 80W-90 is ISO 150, 85W-140 is ISO 320, synthetic 75W-90 is ISO 100, and 90 is ISO 220. This ISO 68 sounds like something you might use in a small, low speed, high torque planetary in extreme cold conditions. I'm just guessing here, maybe Nige or someone might know where you might use it.
Thanks! Yea ISO 68 I'm guessing. Bonnoc AX 68 is the oil I'm referring to. It appears to be a Japanese oil brand. I've never heard of it but I have about 25 20L pails of it.
Viscosity-wise it's about equivalent to an SAE30 engine/powertrain oil, in the SAE gear oil clasification it is an 85W. According to the manufacturer's literature it's a synthetic-based oil for any type of gears. http://www.greasedivision.com/uploads/1/0/6/4/10646805/rmhoffman-bonnoc-ax-product-10-3-14.pdf
Thanks Nige. Now I just need to get it sold. Cheers!!