Hey everyone, So I've had my gehl 5635 for a year and a half or so and it's been a great machine around the yard here. I've been using it to clear the driveway in winter and to do some landscaping and that kind of thing. Up to this point it's been very reliable, starts easy in the winter and really we've been very happy with it. Last weekend I was out in my shop grabbing some tools when i saw the right front wheel of the machine had oil under it. Oil is clearly coming from the axel seal, dripping onto the rim and onto ground. That oil is new as it wasn't there the week before. Machine has been parked for a month at least. Is this a sign of a bad wheel bearing? I've had a rattle sound going forward in this machine since I got it, haven't found the source yet but I always suspected it was coming from the right side chain case somewhere. Removal looks straight forward correct me if I'm wrong, drain the chain case, remove the chain, tire and then undo the retaining bolts on the hub flange. Then remove the hub. Then remove the axle retaining bolt and either press it apart or it just comes apart? Any info or help would be great. I've wrenched on a lot of different equipment but skid steers are something I don't have a ton of wrenching time on. I knew I'd have to learn at some point as this machine is 20 years old!!
What is your email address? I can email you the operation.service and parts manual for your machine
PM sent.
Email sent
Hi I also have 5635 that leaked just like yours. What I did was check the wheel bearing it was not loose. I went to the auto parts store and bought a bottle seal swell put it in with in a week or two it stopped leaking. The lube in the chain drive sump uses 30 weight oil. Hope this helps. Scott
So it may not be as bad as it looks hopefully. I'd be surprised if the bearing is bad as I can see that the hubs have been off before as theres fresh orange silicone around all 4 of them. The dealership that sold me this machine went over it pretty well before selling it. I've been hearing a slight "tick tick, rattle rattle" when going forward since the day I got it. Sounds like it's coming from down low and possible from the right chain case. Haven't tracked down the source of the noise but perhaps it's a loose or bad wheel bearing????
Jack the machine up on good solid wood block with all four wheels off the ground .Than you can run machine with wheels off the ground to listen for where the sound is coming from .
any way I can get a copy of that manual? I've got a similar issue and I just haven't gotten around to taking it apart. I keep getting water in one of my cases and I'm not sure where it's coming from. That and some oil leaking. If you can't do it through pm please email it to me at [email protected]
I will send it you .