Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Gehl 5635 sx Deutz 1011 Timing Belt Replacement

bamaboy2006 ยท 2014-04-23 14:58

Hello, I am about to try to change my timing belt on my 1998 Gehl 5635 sx skid steer. I bought the machine from a bank and they did not have any service history on the machine. It has around 3600 hours and I am afraid that they timing belt hasn't been changed and I do not want it to break and cause a lot of damage. I am was just hoping to get some advice and some do's and don'ts on the replacement process. Also is there anything else I should replace while I am working on it. I did a complete fluid service around 50 hrs ago. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Replies5
  1. #1crewchief8882014-04-23 19:01

    there are some special tools involved with timing belt replacement on duetz engine. the timing gears have no marks, timing is set by pinning the crank and cam. cam gear must be loosened, retorqued and torque turned to properly align the belt. a special belt tension guage is used to properly tension the belt (for maximum life expectancy) your engine may or may not have a special torx head screw retaining one of the belt covers. make sure to replace the tensioner when the belt is changed. however if the belt does break, typically the only damage is a few bent pushrods, i havent run across a duetz yet that has bent any valves. i did a broken timing belt in an 863 bobcat about a month ago. approx 7 hrs labor, removed the muffler, valve cover, replacing the bent pushrods, valve adjustment, & steam cleaning the engine compartment :drinkup

  2. #2bamaboy20062014-04-23 22:51

    Thanks for the reply. I plan on purchasing the kit that comes with the pulley and belt. I found a company that rents a tool kit that is machine specific so I should have all the tools I need to complete the job. I am fairly mechanically inclined but I haven't really ever messed with these kind of engines. Do you think I will need to lift the cab to be able to get to everything? Also I thing my motor isolator's are bad so I guess I probably need to replace them while I am working on it. My fan is getting into my shroud so I figure either a mount is broken or those bushings are gone from a past fuel leak.

  3. #3crewchief8882014-04-24 17:35

    on a gehl i dont have any idea what will be in your way. you need aceess to both side of the block. the crank timing pin hole is on one side near the accessory drive end, the other is on the inj pump side, on the flywheel end. both are small plugs with a 10mm head, sealed with a copper washer. :drinkup

  4. #4bill onthehill2014-04-25 15:13

    On my Gehl 4640 the front mounts were loose and one bolt had come all the way out. I had it up on blocks and dropped the belly pans to clean it good and found them that way. Worth checking while you are working on it.

  5. #5T2002014-04-25 22:12

    I have the same engine in my Bobcat T200 / I am also pretty mechanically inclined but for the price the local Bobcat dealer is going to charge me to change it ($500), I'm just going to let them do it. My machine has 2300 hours on it and I've owned it for 5 years. Bought it with 1500 hours and i was told (no proof) that it was done once before. I'm just changing it for preventative purposes and peace of mind. Goodluck though if you plan on doing it yourself. Please post pictures.