Folks, My Gehl 6635 has been dead reliable. So let me start by saying this is not a complaint! However, one of the two bucket tilt cylinders is leaking heavily now. It started as a drip and quickly became a pour. Couple questions. The seals are available on eBay - can I buy them and reseal myself? Could I leave the cylinder on the machine and only disconnect one side, tilt it up and remove the retaining nut? Finally, can only 1 cylinder be repacked since the other is dry or do they need to be done in pairs. Any help appreciated. I have not done this before so want to make sure I get it right. Oh and what is the tool called that removes the large nut?
I did my bobcat lift and tilt cylinders myself. Not hard. Purchased a spanner wrench off eBay to remove the caps. Flushed hydraulic tank at same time. Looked like pea soup. Remove pins from quick attach and let it rest on ground. Remove cap and pull rod out. The fluid that drained on the quick attach was great for it. You could look at the levers and they would lock after that.
Will need a large wrench and cheater to remove piston nut. I would do both while you are that far along.
Thanks folks. They want $300 a cylinder locally so I figure for $30 a cylinder in seals I might be able to save a buck or two. I need to find a wrench for the gland nuts and the rest I can do in my vice hopefully. I replaced everything in the hydraulic tank twice to flush it. This was about 2 years ago and I used tractor fluid. The stuff thats leaking out looks new. I think the seals must have just been a wear item.