Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Gehl 6640 drive issues

mtbear ยท 2025-01-04 12:15

Hello. I have recently been having issues with the right drive not working properly. It seems to lock up in both directions at times. I can pull back on the left drive and then the right side will take off with full force. some times it acts as if and i can hear a sound similar to the safety bar being raised when it happens. I have checked both relief valves on the right side motor and they seem to be in good shape and clear form debris. When working it seems as strong as it ever was an seeems to be more problematic in the cold. Thanks in advance for any Help Joe

Replies1
  1. #1J Wulff2025-01-25 15:54

    What year is it ? Poclain came out with ML06 drive motors in 2007 not sure when Gehl started using them. The 4840 5640 6640 all used this ML06 drive motors. I have a neighbor that has 3 drive motors on shelf from 5640 and V270 using the ML06 drive motors. If you call the salvage yards they will tell you they sell many used ML06 drive motors . I have had my left drive rebuilt and currently need my right side rebuilt from what I have been told seals and bearing problems. 4000 hrs on machine. I bought machine with drive motor problems didn't move at all. When the left side was out couldn't move machine bearing was junk seals were bad. It needs charge pressure to release brakes. I had machine lifted off ground with telehandler left side would drive slowly right side did not move at all. brake was not releasing on right hand side due to blown seal on left side drive motor. At first I had someone replace charge pump thinking the low charge pressure was causing the issues and right hand brake not releasing. However that was not the issue you need to cap lines going to drive motor if seals are blown to check charge pressure. we found that out after new charge pump was installed and still had low charge pressure so we called dealer where we got charge pump from and the service tech then stated that we needed to remove lines and then recheck charge pressure. My nephew was the one working on skidloader after I had diagnosed machine to have low charge pressure so I don't know which lines needed to be capped off. The ML06 does not use a brake disc like the Gehl 5635 used it uses a sprag metal on metal park brake I was assuming that the park brake was broke on left side allowing the left side to somewhat function with machine lifted off ground and right side to just rock 1/2 inch due to park brake not releasing. When I took left side in for rebuild they just replaced seals bearings lapped pistons and polished bores and plate from what I recall. Park brake was not broke. This was four years ago at the time of rebuild parts needed to be sourced from Gehl he didn't have another supplier for ML06 drive motor. Currently losing oil on right hand side hard to tell where it's coming from. Drive chain case is overfilled. Seems to only leak on ground when I'm pushing hard and digging just driving hardly leaks at all. Currently right drive can get quite jerky. If I stop and back up and go foward a few times it seems to help however when it's acting up you can't put in high.You can buy a copy of service manual on Ebay . I was going to take one apart and see for myself what failed. Need press to release tension remove snap ring and disassemble with a few special tools. Been trying to find a supplier for Seal kit and bearings. If your brake is not releasing it would be making all kinds of noise. As stated it's what I would call a sprag braking system metal on metal spring applied hydraulic pressure release park brake.If your seat switch would fail while in high speed on road it wouldn't be good it would throw you against windshield if not for restraint. Not sure why Poclain thought this was a good braking system for a skidloader. The disc brake that Poclain used in the gehl 5635 was ideal for skidloader. When my son was quite young helping out on the farm he wasn't quite tall enough to reach foot throttle adequately if he didn't put enough weight on seat the disc brake would apply and squeal and then his father would instruct him to keep his but on seat. My point a brake disc was applied not a park brake. Not to mention where all the metal pcs. go if you managed not to completely destroy your park brake