I own a tree service and back in May I purchased a Gehl AL340. I am especially fond of their control layout as compared to any other CWL I've ran/been on. The F/N/R, diff locks, high/lo, and aux controls are all on the loader's joystick, making it far more suitable for running a grapple and most other attachments. I'll attach more pictures from Tapatalk
A few pictures from my phone. Any interest?
Curious is you have anything negative to say about it? ISZ
Not at all. It sips fuel, has great power, next to no turf damage, and a power shift transmission go great with the excellent controls. I'm good friends with a dealer in MN. The first picture in my last post is taken at his dealership. I'll likely sell this machine and get another 340 or 540 in the next couple few months (127 hours, factory warranty until June). The first picture is of the high dump/roll out bucket. The second is that bucket with near a yard of sand. The third is a near 5' cookie of post oak a couple feet thick. The tires on the machine are 30.5", FWIW. Around 2500-2800lbs, machine loaded it without issue aside from the grapple having a hard time pinching it. The fourth is a pin oak log I was using to crush the brush in the trailer. I stopped and grabbed the log again and put it at the farthest out position for a picture. The last picture is a 17.3k lbs of pine tree, loaded by the Gehl.
Cool looking unit. My only experience with a machine from the Gehl construction line was a telescopic boom loader which was a steaming pile of dung. I wish you luck.
I've been to Gehl's R&D park in Wisconsin and my first Gehl articulated loader experience in August of last year. My first time on the machine was showing it for a demo for a larg tree company (Bartlett) who alone has since bought 10ish units. From my friend's and my dealings with Gehl, they are determined to get the AL line right. The only problem I found with the my machine was they didn't upgrade the program on the computer that controls the flow's ramp in on the aux circuit. They sent me another computer and it took a couple minutes to swap.
Glad to see they seem to be on top of it. The loader I was talking about broke the boom at 1800hrs and 3 months out of warranty with no support from the dealer or company. Had some electrical issues develope in it then dealer shut their door so we just sent it down the road.
Couple videos of the AL340. The first is sidewalk removal, the second is a smattering of pictures I've taken over the past year. The front differential lock is leaking oil into the front axle (ZF axle). I'm two weeks and change out of warranty, but it's being covered. If anyone is interested in getting a Gehl AL loader, I've got a line on a great dealer! http://youtu.be/Q-4zTGtdpbA http://youtu.be/eS6UU9jRWjU
Sold the 340, which I delivered Friday in Kentucky. Today I picked up my new 540 in Minnesota. Looking forward to getting it home and putting it to work!
Do some tree work myself, I have a gehl ctl70 and a takeuchi tb53fr excavator w/ hydraulic thumb. I use the excavaor alot for wood cleanup cause it just makes a single track in and a single track out. Weight wise it will pick pretty close to a prentice 120 log loader which means I can load pretty much any 10' log into my dumptruck - ford f-800. Real handy for the smaller chucks too. I have a 36" tooth bucket on it and its really for cleanup time as well. Just spent 10 days pullin trees off houses do to storm damage and I was impressed. after taking the brush off and removing all the weight we could safely, I'd lift the logs or truck off the house. we are talking 20' of 30" norway spruce that had half uprooted, there were some large silver maples and locust damaged as well. Btw, I like the grapple, do you have a standard brush brapple too? Also it looks like the old loader may have been a little short on height for that trailer, hows the new ones reach?
I had a grapple that I sold with the other machine, I'll buy another when I get a job that needs it. The dangle style grapple is excellent for doing residential tree work. I also use it for some demo, it's my most used attachment. Only costs $3200 new. The 540 lifts 8" higher than the 340. I load 90% of my material from the rear of the trailer.
Moved a little dirt today at the house. I cleared the top of the hill back in June, now I'm working on flattening the top to make it more useable. 4-5k square feet I'm guessing. First I stripped the top soil, which will be used elsewhere. The machine has enough power to doze with a 60" bucket. (Machine is 54" wide) I laid a 20" log across the hill, and scotched it with a bucket of dirt. Then I started cutting the hill's top, stocking the dirt above the log. I'll survey the area and pull it back out and compact as I go. Maybe I'll get a screen built before I do that. I'm impressed with the machine's power. I'm looking forward to getting a tooth bucket and a tilt tach. The machine has 5 hours in it now, had 0 (doesn't show tenths) I got to the dealer's lot. It was on 2 before I started doing the dirt work. Figure I spent about 2.5-3 hours on the dirt.
A video of the first 2 months with the loader. I'm very impressed by it. http://youtu.be/O18v7GiMQCM In keeping with forum rules as I understand them: As of a couple weeks ago I became a compensated dealer rep/salesman for the Gehl AL loaders; Mustang CTL, skid steers, and excavators; Boxer Mini Skids, as well as Branch Manager Attachments as well as several other lines. www.topnotchequipment.com I am located in Columbus, MS, the dealership is in Plymouth, MN; and we ship! My contact info is: [email protected] 662-251-9191 Machines purchased through me get a 18v Lincoln Grease gun included that i pay for personally. All purchases through me from members of this forum get a forum discount on everything we sell. Let me know you're from HEF and your username.
Copy and paste from a couple tree forums I'm on. Figured I would include the info here. I'm excited about a new loader Top Notch Equipment will likely become a dealer for. Many folks remember the little Avant/Gehl AL20 from back in the day... now they are back and modernized as the Avant 419/420! We (TNE) bought the first unit in North America. The 419 is gas, the 420 is diesel. What's got me so excited about yet another articulated loader offering? For one, the price is the cheapest articulating wheel loader on the market. The gas version costs about 25% more than the Zahn, or essentially $20k for the base model with a gas engine. Secondly, it's tiny! The over all length on the gas is 90", the diesel is 4" shorter. The 419 weighs 2050 lbs! Light enough to tow behind a car! The 420 is 110lbs more. I can also fit in the cab without issue, 6'2" and 250lbs. And for those that know snobby about controls, this machine's controls are remarkably good. The joystick on machines coming in country next month have the aux hydro functions in the joystick, and the boom extension is to the right of it. I might extend that lever upward so I can run it with the back of my hand while running the joystick. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsGEsJLiHg4 Contact me for more info! Given the price point and specs, I expect these to be quite popular for landscaping and tree work.
Good info on wheel loaders. I was looking for something that can be used around a sawmill with log, pallet, loading and misc moving of stuff. Also wanted a unit that could pull a log from uneven terrain of a woodlot, but was concerned about it stability and traction. The videos show some of its capabilities for that type of application. Are there different tire tread options for work in the woods and/or can chains be added for frozen ground?
Yes, there are different tire options for every machine. Chains on the front axle of the Gehls aren't s problem, the rear axle will depend on tire diameter and chain height for clearance. Stability wise you will have to be mindful of what you are doing, and I would fill the front tires to increase stability. The 540 is a beast of a machine. My current 540 is 2 post ROPS. Trying to decide, my next machine might have the cab with air/heat. Tapatalk isn't letting me upload pictures: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/10mmsheepdog/null_zps8564721e.jpg That is Eu Claire's 540 with truck tires (forget the brand) for added performance plowing snow.
These wheel loaders have great potential for low impact logging I think in the right conditions. Plus a whole lot of other work with the attachments. I see some brands have duals in the front for stability. Then I've seen some brands with a pto in the back. Good for a winch. Thanks for the info.
What other brands have duals? To the best of my knowledge, we (Top Notch Equipment) are the only people offering duals on a wheel loader. We have a wheel option now for a 15" wide tire on the 340 (12.5" standard). Still working on a wider option for the 540 (15.5" standard). Rear aux hydros could be added to the Gehls, the Avants have it as a factory option.
It was probably your video I seen with the duals. Giant from Holland had the pto. A 3- point with a farmi winch would be the ticket.
A video of the AL540 getting trees out of the woods along a fence line. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmnoo59yb4E If anyone has something they would like to see in a video, just let me know and I'll see what I can do!
The AL540 has great breakout force! http://youtu.be/rwxzq4ZqJrc
I like those wheel loaders, do you have any of it running skid steer attachments? like a bushhog or harley rake.
Hmm I don't. The AL540 has 14 GPM in aux flow, which equates to 25 HP. I've played around with the idea of adding higher flow hydraulic pump (20-22gpm) or a power pack. The 540 only has 47hp to play with.
Carrying a 5klb+ lb log around to the wood pile. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aew1KKs_CMc
Replace the two four lip rings that are on the locker's piston. I now work for the dealership as a rep, and did the warranty work myself, it took 3.5 hours I believe. The piston is in the left axle tube when looking at the pinion. When you get done, reinstall the drain plug and engage the locker for 15 minutes (I used a cable tie). Pull the plug and there shouldn't be very much oil that drains from the axle, only what drained down from the side of the housing. Conversely you can leave the plug out and catch the oil that comes out, that part is your choice. Do you have a parts manual to look up the parts? It should start around page 44. If you don't, let me know if your axle tag id ends in 226 or 318 and I can give you the part numbers. If you don't have a dealer...
No, sorry I don't have any part manual!.. is it a problem With these axels? It would be Nice if you could give me a price for these parts! I probably need the sealing between the axle and the ''spacer' to'. The axle is a ZF AP-R7 15, 1632975, 4472 004 225, Best regards Thomas
My computer crashed and I'm in the process of rebuilding it currently so it will likely be a few hours before I can get you a price. 4 month old, $4.1k Mac... Glad I back up, including the wedding I was at yesterday! Yours is the only other one aside from mine that I've heard about. My 540 isn't doing it, nor has the 340 repeated it. What other seal are you talking about? Between the center section and the axle tube? If so, it's reusable (o ring) so long as you don't damage it. Send me your email and I will email you the parts manual.
Yes, the big O-rings, it leaks there to.... I'm not quite so happy With my machine, I've had some trouble With it... Try send it to [email protected] Do you have a price for the parts? Thanks, you're very helpfull
Not very patient eh? 225 is the front axle, 226 is the rear of the early machines. The piston seals: 203594 $20.84 203595 $24.93 The O Ring: 203607 $4.76 What other issues are you having?
I recived the part manual earlyer today, Thank you very much I had to change the the hydraulic drive motor, the air heater started to leak, Three hydraulic hoses has blown, SOLENOID VALVES, ++ Now it's abaut 780 houres on it, not so much!.. 2009/10 mod With cab!.. Can you send the parts to Norway, zip 1866? Thanks
Yeah we can. I'll try to get you a shipping quote tomorrow. The office girl didn't get back to me with it this afternoon.
Did you get the quote for shipping, lumberjack ?
I apologize for the delay. Here's what I got back. $20 First Class, $35 Priority, $75 Express.
Oki. Can you make me a invoice for the parts you think i need, and first class shipping?
Sent! Two 4 lip seals and 1 o ring, USPS first class.
I think I need two o-rings. Just to be shure.
Alright, that's no problem. I also forgot to tell her to list the standard 2% forum discount. Not earth shattering on $50 in part, I know. Still, it applies to everything.
Mr. lumberjack, Wouldn't it be wise to have a machine with a full cab when doing tree work (especially in the woods)? I used to do some logging and I have seen what can fall from the sky...it could for sure kill a man.
Haha "Mr!" I'm 26. I don't do logging, but I get your concern. I wanted a 2 post to get under low obstacles in folks yards. Now that we have the 2 post 140, my next AL540 might have cab/air.
I'll be hauling my Gehl AL540 to Charlotte on the 23-25th of April for a demo at Bartlett's research park. If anyone around the path indicated above is interested in a demo, let me know and we'll see if we can work it out! My estimated path: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/10mmsheepdog/ScreenShot2013-04-03at10045AM_zps130ee21b.png
Hi lumberjack! I was just woundering if you have shipped the parts I ordered from you? Cause I haven't got them yet :/
I'll check with the office, I presumed they shipped.
It shipped out first class USPS on 3/11/13.
Updated path. Currently I'll leave Sunday the 21st for checkpoint B. Arrive at C Tuesday morning, leave Friday. Going up into Tennessee isn't a problem if anyone is that way, checkpoint D is flexible time wise.
Cutting out a pothole with the AL540 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if9C-RNxXz0&feature=youtu.be
THe new HD BMG (grapple) clamshell scoops! http://youtu.be/-3ieIvUM9Bo
HD BMG scoops on a regular bmg, mounted on a Gehl AL140 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClzexWIj8MI
Has anyone drained the rear tires and replaced the weight with wheel weights or a plate under the rear or a modified counter weigh? My wife has one at work I suggested the 540 instead of a skid loader, they deal with high school kids so a skidsteer is not the best option (you tube skid loader tricks ). She now wants one at home for her use ( I know I screwed up. ... ) I have put around 30 hrs on the Gehl and I like it but it rides rough. ... if I buy her one I will also be using it in my business, but I would like to smooth out the ride some and increase traction , any thoughts?
There is already a counterweight under the engine plus the rear bumper/cast counterweight. Removing the fluid from the rear tires would improve the ride some, but I don't know that it would be appreciable aside from in your head. The AL540 has plenty of power to get the back end off the ground, especially with the tilt cylinder. There is an air ride option on the seat that may be worth looking into. I've got a customer in Midland, MI with 3 540s and 2 140s, small world after all!
The little loader is a power house, like I said I like it just the ride is rough. I get to use it when some serious excavation needs to be done and I do not feel like bringing in my equipment. AND I get to do some repairs on the little bugger just because my wife has a nice smile. .... I have looked it over and I feel that I can keep the same capacities with wheel weights and a weight plate or two in the correct places. I don't want to necessary add to the counter weight as that will change the handling of the unit and the balance as the little buggers have a tendency to fall over on a slope.
I wonder wjo the customer in Midland is, are they part of a large corporation? I have a good friend who doesn't like to work on the Gehl loaders, he may even work on the units you sold. The biggest problem we have had has been hoses, someone had the crimp specs off a fuzz at the factory and, hose abrasion issues, they lasted long enough to make it past the warranty period. His other grip is the metric fittings, I actually like the metric fittings, other than the price (I have 2 Menzi Muck machines and 2 Manitou loaders). I have tremendous access to whatever hyd fittings I could ever need.
No large corporation, it's a tree service owned by two brothers; I should be seeing them next week in Pittsburgh. Abraded hoses I've seen, but not crimps failing. I take care of whatever issues they send our way, the most expensive being a front axle on a 140 that was running duals front and rear. The axle kept breaking shafts, we thought it was due to beating wear causing misalignment, but that doesn't appear to be the case.
So you can sell anywhere? The guy that I worked with when the wife bought one for her work has passed so I need to find a new dealer, they are discussing getting a new one.
Yessir. I've sold The AL line all across the us, including Hawaii, excluding Alaska... so far.
Interesting, do you deal with attachments also?
Yessir. I actually work for a living with my other company doing residential tree removal, industrial mowing/mulching, some demolition, etc. I started selling equipment for commissions back in 2012 selling for a dealership in MN who is a Gehl AL dealer. In 2014 I started Compact Equipment Store.com, and this year I've put some effort into it which has shown a great return. I still sell for the other dealership as well as them selling for me. We will be in Pittsburgh tomorrow through Saturday at a trade show. One of my objectives for this winter is to put some more effort into the website so it can continue to grow. It accounted for all of CES's sales last year, this year with my time and energy being put towards it, the website sales have grown almost 50% and now only account for 1/12 of my gross sales. www.compactequipmentstore.com