Hi everyone, new member and this is my very first post. I have a 2006 Gehl rs6-42 telehandler with a john deere 4045t engine, which has a stanadyne de24435-5805 injection pump. For 2 months now I have been having a problem where it will start and run no prob for a short period of time, then shut itself off. You must then wait for a while before it will restart and it may run for a few seconds or a few hours, cranks no prob but no fire. The longer you let it sit after it dies, the longer it will run when it does fire back up which makes me think the fuel shutoff solenoid is stuck where it lets some diesel trickle in while it is sitting. Ive had someone out 3 times to look at it and they cant figure it out so I am going to throw a few parts at it and see what happens. I downloaded a service manual and went through the limited troubleshooting process. Tested all fuses and relays and all good. At the plug at the fuel shutoff solenoid there is 2 wires, at the one wire i have 19 volts. The other is not a ground, and dont have anything there with key on or off. So my plan is to replace a few engine sensors that may be tied into the solenoid through the ecm(even though I have power at the solenoid) and I also ordered a fuel shutoff solenoid to throw at it. My questions: anyone have an idea what the second wire is at the back of the injection pump? Would it be a pulse of some kind coming from the crankshaft? Ground? To test it do i need to have someone crank the engine over? And my other question, has anyone replaced a fuel shutoff solenoid like this? Is it pretty straight forward? Seems like there is a cap on the back side (not a cover on the top like 12 volt models) that comes off, a few torx head bolts, and it can be replaced. Injection pumps scare me, I swing a hammer for a living but am not bad with a wrench lol. Another thing that I thought was wierd was that while it was running I unplugged the fuel temp sensor on the top of the injection pump and the engine died. Started it back up and while it was running unplugged the fuel shutoff solenoid and it kept on running? Thanks for any help guys, Ive searched and searched and found bits and pieces of info to get me this far. Attached should be a pic of the solenoid that i have.
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPLACE THAT SOLENOID.!! It’s screwed down to a certain CRITICAL DIMENSION.. It’s measured w a VERY EXPENSIVE JIG.. try working on the supply angle and loosen the fuel cap while running to make sure it’s not creating a vacuum.. u can’t get into the codes.. I don’t think u need a computer to pull them.?? I think it’s accessible right in the monitor..
Thanks for the reply. This is exactly why I posted, tons of forums out there saying "oh no problem, pop the cap off and replace. Its a simple common repair". I have no moniter, all there is is a plug in area for a john deere tech to plug in a computer or something, but Ive been told by 2 john deere dealers that they wont work on it because its a Gehl, and the dealer I got it from doesn't have a clue. I will try loosening the cap, any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.
I'll leave the inside of the pump to thepumpguy. There's plenty to check outside the pump though, that would do exactly as you're describing. Cracked rubber hose, plugged line, plugged intake screen, plugged fitting somewhere, all of these would be likely.
Just for anyone in the future who may have the same issue: I called a john deere construction equipment dealer as my lift has the 4045t engine. He hooked his computer up and found a bunch of error codes, one of which was that an external shutoff was not allowing the engine to fire, even though I have no external shutoff he said. He cleared the codes and turned off the external shutoff part in the ecu and she's been running like a champ for 3 weeks. He said if it happens again it will need a new ecu. Thank god i didn't go poking around in that injection pump!
Thank you for asking this question and getting some information! I have the exact issue on gehl rs5-34 telehandler and have been dealing with this problem since the fall of 2020. Nobody at John Deere was helpful at all and that is where I was told to go. Had field tech out to my shop and also hauled it to John Deere and spent over $900 between the 2 experiences and still have the issue. So frustrating, and embarrassing working on it on job sites. I can't thank you enough for this information LCHbuilders.
So the Deere dealer didn't read any codes from the ECU in your case? Can always start another thread if you want more help around here to pinpoint your issue.
In my case they told me that my unit does not have an ecu to get codes from. As of now the injection pump is getting rebuilt at some other shop is what I'm told. Hopefully that will take care of my unit, but if the condition remains I will definitely be on here and start my own thread to get advice. Thank you
Yes, start a new thread if you need additional help. The DE series pumps that were discussed by the OP are different than your mechanical DB series pump.
I have the same problem with a my rs6-42 I replaced the injection pump and it ran fine for a week then began the acting up again. the fuel system to the injection pump all tested good, at this point i am wondering if the ecu is the fault
How about starting your own thread rather than piggy backing another. Post what engine it has and the engine serial number. List all the diagnostics you have done. Be specific.