Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Geith Quick Coupler

delectric123 ยท 2017-06-22 10:04

So I got a used Geith manual pin grabber coupler for our 25 ton for a good price. For the price I got it I can convert it to hydraulic and still get a good savings. I haven't installed it yet. My biggest surprise was dimension Z, the distance from boom pin to bucket pin which is 13", I figured it would be less than 10". Is that typical for pin grabbers?

Replies5
  1. #1delectric1232017-06-23 10:23

    No comment? I'm wondering how much it will affect my breakout force, but I guess I can only try. I had excess breakout force before, so I'm thinking I should be fine. On the bright side, now I should be able to reach all the places where I was a foot short.

  2. #2Twisted2017-06-23 11:44

    Yes I believe that is typical. Yes you will loose breakout force and a slight bit on your stick. Yes you will gain some reach. There are pros and cons when adding accessories to a machine but I think you'll be happy with the end results.

  3. #3Graham12017-06-23 16:10

    I had a Geith quick coupler on my Volvo EW140. Very nice hitch, I'm sure you will be pleased with it. All quick hitches lose a bit of breakout force, but the gain in swapping to the right bucket/attachment far out weighed it for me and most people. The good thing about the Geith is you can let go of attachments flat on the floor rather than having to curl it in tight which is a huge advantage if using big attachments. Also a lot safer in my opinion. Graham

  4. #4delectric1232017-06-23 22:27

    I found the manual screw cylinder is stuck. Rather than put on a long cheater bar on it I'll see if I can take it apart and get it cleaned up. There can't be too much inside it. If anybody else has experienced this I'd be glad to hear from you.

  5. #5delectric1232017-06-26 20:00

    Called customer service and cylinder is not serviceable, have to buy the whole new cylinder. I think I'll rather spend a bit more and convert to hydraulic. The only advantage I see for a manual coupler is easier to install and less parts to maintain.