Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

GEM Yarders………

Redwood Climber ยท 2011-06-04 22:12

It was about 1974 or 75 I was riding my dirt bike on the local timber company land out of Mckinleyville, Ca. I came around the corner and here was a small yarder. It had a tube about 50' tall, with six guylines I believe. If I had to guess it was a Skagit BU50 drum set. It was all mounted on a Kenworth truck. I believe it belonged to Jackman & Cox at the time........anyone know of it or others? Was it one of a kind, or did someone make a bunch? It said GEM on the tower......it was a cool rig, I would love to learn more.......who out there has pictures?

Replies3
  1. #1lg junior2011-06-05 16:51

    I remember the Gem yarders, the ones I saw were all truck mounts with big front tires. Like you I wish I would have taken pictures. Seems like I remember them as being the same color as the Edcos not sure if there could be a connection.

  2. #2Redwood Climber2011-06-05 22:51

    Thanks Lg Junior...........Do you know where they were built? I don't remember what color this one was.........but the tower was white. I believe it was on a Kenworth. I remember being fascinated by it. How many of them have you seen?

  3. #3lg junior2011-06-06 23:32

    I only remember ever seeing two of the Gem yarders, white tower as you described,one I believe was red. Long time ago!