Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Generac Kia Diesel Engine Identification?

Makers Acres · 2021-12-11 00:53

I have a Generac 2.4L Kia Diesel Genset and I am having a hard time finding parts for it. Since it is a Kia engine, I was hoping that I could figure out what Model of the Kia engine it is and be able to find the parts with Kia part numbers vs the Generac part numbers. I am attaching the numbers I found stamped into the block. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Replies24
  1. #1thepumpguysc2021-12-11 11:06

    If it has a mechanical injection pump and injectors, snap a pic of them and any name plates u see on the inj pumps.. DO NOT SCRAPE THEM

  2. #2hosspuller2021-12-11 12:01

    Scrape ? or scrap ? Is there something about the name plates ? or the pumps themselves ?

  3. #3thepumpguysc2021-12-11 12:05

    If I can ID the pump, I can look to see what engine it was assigned to.. And isn’t that what your asking for.?? The name plates r stamped lightly, so if u start scraping it, you’ll scratch off the numbers.. & that’s no bueno..

  4. #4Birken Vogt2021-12-11 19:49

    They seemingly used engines not used in any car or tractor in the US. Or custom configurations not used anywhere else in the world. But I have seen TPG pull some rabbits out of the hat.

  5. #5Makers Acres2021-12-11 23:44

    After doing a bit of research myself, it looks very similar to the engine in a Kia K2400 or a Kia Ceres. Not something in the US, so maybe? I went out to take some pictures for you guys tonight and found a Dataplate that Generac painted over. I tried very lightly to remove the paint, but I ended up taking off too much so I stopped. See the images below as well as a picture of the engine pump. Looks like a DOOWON pump? Just to give you more of a back story, I bought this Genset and it sat in storage for about 7 years before I tried to use it. It had 10 hours on it from the factory and I ran it for about 30 Minutes before it started making a strange sound. I of course did a full Oil change before I ran it after sitting this long. About 30 seconds into it making a strange sound the engine shut down. I pulled the head and found that the exhaust valve dropped into one of the cylinders and caused one of the cylinders to break apart. The cylinder walls seem undamaged though so I think I got lucky. This was about 7 years ago. At the time I ordered all the parts I needed to fix the engine. I got busy and forgot about it. When I checked the parts I ordered, I found that they had only shipped half of them and that the company went bankrupt and kept my money. Ugh. I finally have time for this and now all the parts are discontinued that I need. I am trying to find a piston, connecting rod, rod bearings, a valve, valve springs, and valve cotter pins. Thanks for the help.

  6. #6MarshallPowerGen2021-12-12 17:02

    I thought I had the service manual for that engine and your pictures confirm it's the right one (sadly not the parts manual). For the IP it says "Diesel Kiki's Bosch-VE-Distributor Type". I looked through the manual and there's no hints on the actual manufacturer. Generac was pretty bad about picking oddball industrial engines to use for a run and just list it as a Generac in the literature.

  7. #7Makers Acres2021-12-12 17:40

    I did buy the service manual for it as well, but it never says the make and model of the original engine. I tried those numbers I was able to lift off the data plate and did not really find anything online.

  8. #8thepumpguysc2021-12-12 19:36

    U need to go to the store and get some paint/gasket remover in a spray can.. spray it on and wipe it off.. NO SCRATCHING.!!! MP is correct.. it’s a VE pump. There IS a data tag on the pump.. Get those #

  9. #9Birken Vogt2021-12-12 21:15

    There is no way on earth this orphan is worth all that trouble, but if you want to do it just because it is a fun project, by all means I am interested in how this turns out. After you gave this additional info about it being a 7 year basket case.

  10. #10Makers Acres2021-12-13 22:44

    So I used paint remover on the top plate and that's what pulled the numbers off too. So I am worried it will pull the numbers off this data-late too.

  11. #11Makers Acres2021-12-13 22:50

    This is pretty much a new Genset, so I would like to recover it if possible. Everything else on this unit is pretty much brand new. And for the 30 minutes it ran, it was glorious Perhaps I am over thinking it? I have not done a full engine rebuild before. Could some of these things like valve springs, valves, and rod bearings be a standard size that I could use a same size OEM part? I will be posting a video about this on my channel once I can find some parts for this if you want to follow along.

  12. #12davidcarlson262025-02-25 19:41

    Hello Sir, I am dealing with the same issue, bought at an auction taken apart, I attached all possible engine identifiers. Any help would be greatly appreciated I found the part manual but I am more interested in finding a service manual. Thank you in advance!

  13. #13davidcarlson262025-02-25 19:43

    Here is the part manual. Generac 2.4L Diesel Generator Kia 96954 Parts Manual PB24000D Generac 2.4L Diesel Generator Kia 96954 Parts Manual PB24000D issuu.com

  14. #14thepumpguysc2025-02-25 20:00

    104749-7000 is the inj pump part #..(Zexel) WRITE THAT DOWN IN YOUR MANUALS.. That sticker WILL rub off so keep that # protected..

  15. #15davidcarlson262025-02-25 20:20

    Generac Generator - Engine Parts for Heavy Equipment New Engine Parts for Generac Generators Diesel & Water Cooled Gas Engine Parts Located in USA Parts delivery in USA including Hawaii & Alaska Canada & Worldwide www.heavyequipmentrestorationparts.com

  16. #16davidcarlson262025-02-25 20:30

    Thank you!

  17. #17Makers Acres2025-02-26 17:35

    I do have a service manual for this engine too.

  18. #18davidcarlson262025-02-26 17:41

    Is there anyway you would share this with me?!

  19. #19Birken Vogt2025-02-27 10:07

    I went looking for a video on your channel and didn't find anything about your unit. Did you do a rebuild or something?

  20. #20davidcarlson262025-02-27 10:50

    Hello, where were you able to find the service manual?

  21. #21Makers Acres2025-02-27 13:12

    I am a bit behind in my videos, but yes, I had to replace a piston, replace valve springs and replace one valve. I will be posting this video eventually.

  22. #22Makers Acres2025-02-27 13:13

    I bought this manual back in the 2000's but it is a paperback copy and it is around 300 pages. I can try and scan the pages you need if you want.

  23. #23Makers Acres2025-02-27 13:46

    I should have updated this thread and let everyone know that I was able to successfully rebuild this engine and get it running! It was a huge mental win for me! This was my first engine rebuild so I waited until I had someone with experience that could assist. When I tore the engine down, the cause of the failure appears to be bad valve springs. One spring broke in a way that allowed the valve to drop into the piston while it was running and destroy the piston. When I got into the tear down, I found that 3 of the eight valve springs were broken. Only one luckily had broken in a way that allowed the valve to drop. Keep in mind this engine has 10ish hours on it when these broke. I was able to go to a mom and pop engine shop and found some springs that seemed almost identical to the existing springs from an old Chevy Engine and replaced all 8. I could not find the correct springs anywhere and they also straightened my bent pushrod as I could not find that either. They also had to replace a valve seat for me. I replaced all the Piston rings and I found those out of a seller in India. The engine has about 10 hours since rebuild now and even ran the house during the California wildfire events when power was out. I did film the process and I will be posting a video of the entire process on my channel when I can get to it.

  24. #24MarshallPowerGen2025-02-27 23:17

    Shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send it your way.