Hello all, I just removed the carrier cab on my Gradall to help speed up the rebuild process (cab metal work and complete control system rebuild). I noticed that this completely opened up the engine bay. I know engines are typically fairly accessible on big trucks, but the one on my Gradall is obscured by the cab. Specifically, this has given me awesome access to: The air compressor The fuel injection pump The throttle assembly The head/valves The hoses The engine is a cummins 6BT5.9. The engine runs pretty good right now, but I'm wondering if I should take the opportunity to service and rebuild these items anyway? Most of these tasks would get MUCH harder with the cab reinstalled. Also, the engine is completely covered in fresh-looking oil. Should I just go ahead and do a head gasket? Finally....what are your opinions on steam cleaning? Due to power steering and oil leaks, the entire engine and torque converter are totally covered. I assume pressure washing isn't the greatest idea? Thanks for the input!
I have been pressure washing my engines every year for over 30 years. I hope nobody says it's the wrong thing to do. Of course a little diligence is required and a cover over intakes, oil dipsticks, etc. I do not spray the distributor direct on the gassers.
The little 6BT motor does have its drama's with its single liner seal etc, the cooling system items on the engine (W/Pump, Oil Cooler/s Vee belts and pulleys are worth effort, the air side including filters trunking, turbo and waste gate also any inter or after cooler (Ref Engine spec') would be worth a peep, but if it runs well its not realy worth pulling big lumps off it, the valve lash should be a must do after you have steam cleaned the thing into a new pin look, the mid section valve cover links 3 cylinders holding loads of dirt under it waiting to fall in the engine as you lift it, the lash is 10 and 20 thou (10 Inlet 20 ex) the parts are low cost its your shout. tctractors
I would wash it and start it to see were the oil is comeing from before i put the cab back on.When i have money i have a tuff time figuareing out how far to go. If it was runing ok and you have a ideal that its not wornout then i would fix the leaks and run the over head.
Make sure your crankcase breather is nice and clean/free of restriction. If its plugged it'll make the tappet cover leak. How many hours are on the engine?
I would take a few pic's and post on http://www.4btswaps.com in the Cummins section. I received a ton of help when rebuilding my Detroit 453. These guys will know what to do. Steam clean with a 40 Degree head, stay away from any hydraulic hoses (ask me why I know this) or rubber. It will take the paint off though (if using steam/hot water). Here's a link on the help I received while rebuilding the 453: http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?35985-New-guy-with-a-453N