Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

General Newbie Question..

DieseLLover ยท 2015-03-29 16:25

Hey folks, I am not sure if Im in the correct section but this is a general question. I would like to get into diesel mechanics...briefly, my professional background consists of aviation mechanics. I have been doing that for the past 8 years. So, would I be able to transition into diesel or heavy equipment mechanics? I do have heavy background experience in hydraulics and pneumatics repairs. Would I have to attend a trade tech school? Are these two different worlds even remotely similar? Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.. M.S.E.

Replies2
  1. #1mitch5042015-03-30 22:23

    Not having been an aviation mechanic, I can't say for sure, but mechanical and physical principles are the same for all machines. You could go the school route, but, most heavy mechanics don't. It just depends who you want to work for. Nowing75 on here changed from planes to tractors and appears to be doing fine. OCR is also a licensed A&P man.

  2. #2DieseLLover2015-03-31 19:48

    Thank you for the feedback sir. I have been looking at several different types of jobs and I cant help but notice they almost all require at least X amount of years of experience on diesel or heavy equipment. Is there a way I can get in as a apprentice perhaps and work my way up? What would be the best way in your opinion? I live in the LA area, would it be a challenge to find something like that? Thank you.