Hello we have a large reclamation project here in upper Michigan regarding tailings ponds (drained). There is some higher grade materials laying on the top level (surface) of a few ponds I want to collect this materials. I am looking for advice for choosing the right type of machinery for this job. There is also some materials on the side of some berms that are roughly 75 ft high grade of 45%. I need to either scoop, scrape or push these materials into piles. The conditions are firm but will not be difficult to push or scrape. We understand the company eventually purchasing our project will handle all of the processing and material movement but for now I need this material. We will purchase a used piece of equipment for this task but which equipment , a wheel loader, medium dozer or something else. Any advice is appreciated.
Yair . . . nehinc . I think folks here may need a few more details, but you have come to the right place there is heaps of knowledge here and you will get good advice. As always photographs would be invaluable. Details as to what the "materials" are, the thickness of the layers, and the areas involved . . . that is to say, do you propose one pile in the middle of one acre, five acres, or ten acres or can it be just "won" and heaped ready for load out into trucks? All these factors can make a huge difference in the type of machinery and costs involved. Cheers.
If you have no equipment as of yet, I would want to rent an excavator to dig a few test holes to see what the moisture content is below grade. Tailings ponds have a tendancy to remain very wet below grade for many years, leading to large inconveniences as the excavation moves forward, leaving mucky operating conditions, with a major possibility of getting machinery stuck to the point of possible damage. How deep were the ponds initially? And are they in containment dykes, or below natural grade?
Hello folks, new to this site and very glad to have found it. In regards to the question. Depending on all the factors (not specified) I would and commonly do use rocktrucks and excavators to reclaim pits, tailing ponds etc. As said above a test hole is a must in my opinion, it makes planning and being prepared for ground condition change much easier. I would recommend a dozer as well. There are a lot of things to consider like; cycle times, amount of rocktrucks needed, and the $$ you are willing to fork out to achieve the task. More information and of coarse pictures would be a big help in assisting you.