Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Genie GS 1930 completely dead

swamprat96 ยท 2023-08-28 23:10

Greetings- total Genie newby here but I have electrical and mechanical knowledge. I picked up a dead unit- serial 20416 - 1999 model with a MKIII controller. I have downloaded the parts, operation and service manuals. Its rough and I've been slowly working through some dodgy wiring but no luck yet. Its also got bodgy batteries (2 x 6volt and one 12 volt) which I will replace with the correct 4 batteries once I see some life in the unit. As I have 24VDC I figure thats enough to troubleshoot. Being an Australian model there are no circuit breakers and its a 240vac battery charger installed. Symptoms are totally dead- no led bars on the ECU, no lights, nothing. The story I was told is that it was fully extended and died two weeks ago in that position. There is 24vdc at the batteries, main fuse is OK and 24VDC on the motor controller. I have followed : https://www.genielift.com/docs/defa...roller-troubleshooting.pdf?sfvrsn=21e01263_14 and whilst I have continuity between the ECU and the motor controller I have no voltage at pin4 or 5 on the ecu or pin 1 or 3 at the Motor controller. According to this doc the ECU may be dead. However before I spend $225 USD on a replacement ECU I'm wondering what other checks I can run? Additionally can the unit run without the platform controls? Bad cable on that which I've ordered a replacement for many thanks in advance for any and all suggestions. I did get it very cheap so I am prepared to spend money on it to get it up to a working standard

Replies6
  1. #1willie592023-08-28 23:35

    It's been years since I've worked on a 1930, but don't they have a digital trouble code display on the ECU?

  2. #2swamprat962023-08-28 23:45

    yeh but if its dead- no display- same for the motor control. I think its better on the later models

  3. #3swamprat962023-08-29 00:16

    so- I found a circuit breaker on the control panel- and its stuffed. I have lights now and it attempted to raise before it ran out of puff

  4. #4swamprat962023-08-29 00:49

    ok- I have lights but now a warning light on the joystick console and no movement again.

  5. #5swamprat962023-08-29 04:37

    Ok I'm sort of running now. Lots of beeping going on but I'm comfortable to order new batteries now

  6. #6willie592023-08-29 21:12

    Again, it's been years since I've worked on one of those, but I seem to recall some models had an LED light at the platform controls that would blind error codes. You can download the manuals for that machine from the Genie website, that will tell you what those flash codes are. As for the batteries, that's the most critical thing on electric machines. On a 24V machine, if voltage drops to somewhere between 18 to 20 volts then strange things start happening, on not happening.