what's the reasoning for Genie using greaseless bronze bushings in their pivot points? i'm having to replace some worn bushings, and was wondering if its ok to coat the new ones in grease?
I don’t know why it wouldn’t be. Greaseless pivots is guaranteed parts income.
Besides, it is apparently ok to grease batteries, catwalks, wiring harnesses, hydraulic hoses, lights, the side of the boom, and the top of the operators cab. Just ask any guy running a lube truck.
I had bought the replacement bushings and saw they were bronze. Well today I took apart the spindles and found that the original bushings are some kind of woven fiberglass type bushings and they were all shot. One completely gone and wore into the casting a bit. Gonna try to weld fill a bit and maybe some jb weld. This sucks.
I would guess the new bushings are oilite, oil impregnated sintered bronze. Best to use a light non detergent oil to lube them, no grease. Ed
how can i tell if they're oillite? I was thinking of drilling the pins and putting some grease fittings. Edit: just looked up oillite and I think the new bushings are those.
Genie lift to me means a man lift. There's no way I'd drill a pin in a man lift. Put some grease on it and forget about it. Or drill the bushing if you need to, not the pin.
too late. this is a smaller rough terrain scissor lift that only weighs 7000lbs or so. the steering knuckle pins are 1.25" diameter. i drilled a 3/32" hole through the pin, and one cross hole also. tapped the top for a grease fitting. turned out real nice. and the hole is so small, i seriously doubt it matters. now if i were to do this on a lot larger and heavier machine, i may reconsider. these bushings will never wear out again!
At least as far as jlg goes... I have a 60ha at home. All the pivot points are greaseable. A few years back, at jlg school they covered this. Why doesn't jlg use greaseable pins? Because they did a survey years ago, and concluded nobody was interested in greasing them. I assume genie is the same way.
jlg should have properly asked if they prefer to grease once a year, or later on tear things apart and replace pins and bushings.
Im a little late to this thread oillite bushing tend to look a little porous in my experience and i sure tell tale way to find out is warm a spot up with a little torch propane or butane they will begin to ooze oil
Interesting. I think the bushings were oilite. But I ended up putting grease fittings in anyways.
You mean lance out every pin because the dang things are ALWAYS seized solid into the metal parts of the frame.
Yep. Even on greasable pins I find that they still seize plenty of times. It’s why I include new pins and if applicable bushings on every parts list I build that involves removing pins. If it doesn’t come out fairly easy and quickly I’m not spending a day of labor on trying to “save” a pin. I’ve played that losing game in the past.